Gas/diesel

Gas/diesel

• Gas

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Diesel

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tall Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wanting to buy a 2nd gen ram but I'm stuck on whether I should buy a gas or diesel powered one.
I don't think I'll be doing allot of heavy towing too often but I want one that will last since I'm buying an older truck.
I don't mind rebuilding an engine or transmission, and how much would that extend the life?
This Is what I'm thinking ofScreenshot_20180602-202247.png
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks that belch out black smoke like that should be burned to the ground. Get a gas pot.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Obviously the diesel engine will last longer. With that said a 2nd Gen diesel is not going to be near as cheap to buy as a gasser (they are in high demand).

The biggest issue you will run into for those older trucks (assuming engine is good) is the drivetrain. Wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rids etc. So that is something to keep in mind.

If you can find one in decent shape and price I would go diesel.

OP
OP
Tall Texan

Tall Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously the diesel engine will last longer. With that said a 2nd Gen diesel is not going to be near as cheap to buy as a gasser (they are in high demand).

The biggest issue you will run into for those older trucks (assuming engine is good) is the drivetrain. Wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rids etc. So that is something to keep in mind.

If you can find one in decent shape and price I would go diesel.

Thanks

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The diesel will be more expensive to operate and maintain, or rebuild if you need to. A lot depends on the condition of the vehicle as to what you'll have to do and how long it will last.

It's going to be very difficult to determine how that old of a truck was operated and maintained so you are basically taking a chance, whether it is a gasser or an oil burner.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
It looks pretty good for a 2nd truck. Must be a southern truck. Lotta rust up where I live on the doors and bed sides.