Gas in diesel tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
So I finally got hit by the green 91 octane button and put 10 gallons of gas in my diesel tank with about ten gallons of diesel already in it. Realized it before I started it and got towed home 130 miles. Besides the flaps in the fill tube is there something preventing me from getting a siphon hose in there? Still gonna try a different kind of hose unless there is an intentional blockage. If so anyone know specifics on how to pump out the tank
Thanks!
And no were not going to the dealer.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This devices are made to avoid fuel theft and do a great job, also with doing it by your self to dump gas in diesel tank.
I had it twice that gast station ******* put gas in my diesel tank and both time a full tank.
Both times the disconnected and lowered the whole fuel tank to empty it.
I fear that this will be necessary for your truck as well...
Chris

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't but good luck, good job catching the minor mistake before it became a MAJOR mistake. Keep us updated with how it goes for you.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks....keep up posted please.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've never siphoned out of one of those but with a skinny hose and some patient twisting and turning I have never been defeated yet. I have however decided I hate the taste of gasoline.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I made that mistake at a BP, grabbed the black handle which was diesel. On my gas truck, I just disconnected the fuel line at the rail, just the fuel pump relay and let it pump itself out. Idk if that’s an option on the diesel truck or not

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Its easy to drop the fuel tank... only way to guarantee its all removed...

A good mechanic will do that to reduce liability and make sure your engine doesnt get damaged

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not fun.

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
If you don’t want to drop the tank get as much as you can out and fill it up with diesel. I put 6 or 7 gallons in my diesel I used to have and went and filled it up with diesel and never had an issue. Throw in a quart of transmission fluid if you want to. Btw I’m no mechanic just been there done that. In no way am I responsible for you messing your truck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is a rollover valve in system which will prevent you from siphoning the fuel through filler neck. I know SouthTexan has commented in the past on what needs to be done to purge the system. Don't recall the details but I do recall that if you get gas into the motor it can be ungodly expensive in the newer vehicles. So be careful.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you don’t want to drop the tank get as much as you can out and fill it up with diesel. I put 6 or 7 gallons in my diesel I used to have and went and filled it up with diesel and never had an issue. Throw in a quart of transmission fluid if you want to. Btw I’m no mechanic just been there done that. In no way am I responsible for you messing your truck up.

That's terrible advice on the newer diesels. Not only on having 6 gallons of gasoline in the tank, but also on putting ATF in the fuel. If you saw the repair bill on running gasoline through a newer common rail diesel (not to mention the potential damage to DPF system with using ATF) you'd think twice about this! Not being a jerk, just shooting straight.

There may be a way to use the intank pump to pump out most of it before dropping it. But dropping the tank is the only way to do it right.

I know it comes down to a simple mistake by the operator if you put gas in the diesel (I know because I've almost done it)...BUT, there should be some sort of rule that only diesel pumps can have a green handle. BP stations around here have green on some of their gas pumps, and I'm sure other do as well.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ugh... I've been there. When I still had my 06 cummins, my then 16 year old son put $50 worth of gas in it. Then he drove it 25 miles into town on what I figure was at best a 50/50 mix. Then he called my wife who drove it another 25 miles home. They were both lucky I was out of town for work and had a few days to cool off before I saw either of them. The worst part about it was that this station had the diesel pump 75 feet from the gas pumps and I had taken him up there and explained the importance of getting fuel ONLY from that pump. He also learned how to drop a fuel tank at 6:00 on a Sunday morning

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did the opposite. Diesel into a gas. Had a split tank at work, but both sides had the same nozzle and just the 1202 and 1203 dangerous goods placards to tell them apart. Tank was moved and put back spun around so when I filled it out of the same side out of habit I drove a couple hundred yards before I stalled out. Luckily diesel in a gas engine doesn't do as much damage. Dropped the tank and dumped it and it smoked a lot when it started back up from the diesel in the fuel lines. Ran fine shortly after.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And no were not going to the dealer.
“Screwed my truck up, help!”

“Why don’t you take it to the de...”

“No.”

“But they can help get it out...”

“No.”

“But when you’re **** breaks, that literally where you’re supposed to...”

“No!”

“Ok, enjoy your broken truck.”

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I built my truck not the dealer. The only time it see's the dealer is for all these stupid recalls. My son and I fixed it ourselves. We tried to drop the tank but couldn't figure out how to unconnect the fuel lines. We got the tank low enough to unconnect the fill tube then siphon out about 18 gals of the mix. Then drained the rear filter and cycled the key on and off a buncha times to pump out the rest. Installed a new rear filter and put in some motor oil and fuel additive with 20 gals of new fuel. Runs bitchen.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
“Screwed my truck up, help!”

“Why don’t you take it to the de...”

“No.”

“But they can help get it out...”

“No.”

“But when you’re **** breaks, that literally where you’re supposed to...”

“No!”

“Ok, enjoy your broken truck.”

You are such a dealership troll always going against ANY advice that prevents people from to a dealership. I get it you work for one but don't be so obvious.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You are such a dealership troll always going against ANY advice that prevents people from to a dealership. I get it you work for one but don't be so obvious.
“Always” huh? K. I think I’ve said something twice. And OP is stupid for saying literally in post #1 “don’t even mention the one place on the planet literally trained and staffed to do exactly what I need done.” Dealerships aren’t evil, and in this case could provide exactly the repairs needed to fix this truck.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
“Always” huh? K. I think I’ve said something twice. And OP is stupid for saying literally in post #1 “don’t even mention the one place on the planet literally trained and staffed to do exactly what I need done.” Dealerships aren’t evil, and in this case could provide exactly the repairs needed to fix this truck.
Oh yeah? Just like the repairs they tried providing to this fella? http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...am-2500-hd-6-7-cummins-gas-tank-no-start.html

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I built my truck not the dealer. The only time it see's the dealer is for all these stupid recalls. My son and I fixed it ourselves. We tried to drop the tank but couldn't figure out how to unconnect the fuel lines. We got the tank low enough to unconnect the fill tube then siphon out about 18 gals of the mix. Then drained the rear filter and cycled the key on and off a buncha times to pump out the rest. Installed a new rear filter and put in some motor oil and fuel additive with 20 gals of new fuel. Runs bitchen.

Unless you work for the assembly plant, you didn’t build your truck.

Anyway to your issue, you should be fine. Every month or so we get a diesel in that’s been filled with gas. Very rarely do we actually have to drop the tank. We run the fuel pump to pump out the gas, put some diesel in it, pump that out, change the fuel filters then fill it with diesel, and send it on it’s way. Never see them come back with any issues. Been doing it that way for the past 10 years.

Yes it’s true gas in a diesel can be very troublesome, but as long as it’s not run for long with a gas/diesel mix there shouldn’t be any long term issues.