Gas in diesel tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes it’s true gas in a diesel can be very troublesome, but as long as it’s not run for long with a gas/diesel mix there shouldn’t be any long term issues.

This is accurate. The major issue is when you run a few gallons of gas in the diesel. With a small percentage of gas in it, it will still run and that's where the trouble is.

Gas does not have the lubricity of diesel and as such, the gas that's in there washes down cylinder walls and can damage injectors and other parts.

Better to have a mistake and fill up a full tank of gas in the diesel because it simply will shut down and won't run very far at all.

Diesel in a gas, not a big deal, flush it out and you may have a smoke show for awhile, but it'll eventually clear itself out. Harder to do though as in most cases the diesel fuel nozzle is too big for the gas fuel fill.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
“Screwed my truck up, help!”

“Why don’t you take it to the de...”

“No.”

“But they can help get it out...”

“No.”

“But when you’re **** breaks, that literally where you’re supposed to...”

“No!”

“Ok, enjoy your broken truck.”
xxxx
A grain of truth to that, but at $100/hour shop rate in my area, ain't no way they get the simple stuff like fluid changes, alignment or tire rotation.

Hell when my front sway bar broke (metallurgic failure) outside warranty the only reason I went to them is I had a road trip the next day and couldn't wait two days on UPS to deliver an after market part.

Cost me $400 too much for something simple like that.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I finally got hit by the green 91 octane button and put 10 gallons of gas in my diesel tank with about ten gallons of diesel already in it. Realized it before I started it and got towed home 130 miles. Besides the flaps in the fill tube is there something preventing me from getting a siphon hose in there? Still gonna try a different kind of hose unless there is an intentional blockage. If so anyone know specifics on how to pump out the tank
Thanks!
And no were not going to the dealer.

Put a quart of transmission fluid in it that will turn the gas oily enough for it to burn. I’ve done this trick several times before when I had my commercial trucking company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you possibly drain your tank by disconnecting the fuel line and using the fuel pump to drain it out, and then refill with fresh diesel? Just my 2cents. ftd

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I made that mistake at a BP, grabbed the black handle which was diesel. On my gas truck, I just disconnected the fuel line at the rail, just the fuel pump relay and let it pump itself out. Idk if that’s an option on the diesel truck or not
Difference here is, a little diesel in a filled gas tank isn't dangerous. Other way around is potentially catastrophic.

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
“Screwed my truck up, help!”

“Why don’t you take it to the de...”

“No.”

“But they can help get it out...”

“No.”

“But when you’re **** breaks, that literally where you’re supposed to...”