Gasser or Diesel for hauling 12K?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Say you had an enclosed trailer that fully loaded weighed in at 12K lbs. Say you towed this trailer 4-6 times a year, anywhere from 200 to 400 miles with an occasional 900 mile trip all out west with mountains and such. Would you get by with a gas truck, or go for the diesel that can easily pull it?

Kevin

rollinrollin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would vote gas with a 4.10 for how often you tow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does the truck do the rest of the time?
If it’s just gonna sit and only Be used to tow those trips you take??if so then buy a diesel, just try and drive it a little every month. That’s what I would do.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Gas. My truck is an absolute beast hauling!! Don’t get me wrong diesel is awesome but a lot more expensive for only hauling few times a year...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diesel is ideal, but if its only a few times a year I would go gas. It would stress me out everything I pulled it but I know the truck is fine for it.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What does the truck do the rest of the time?
If it’s just gonna sit and only Be used to tow those trips you take??if so then buy a diesel, just try and drive it a little every month. That’s what I would do.

I thought the new diesels didn't like to sit around with DEF being the main issue? clogging/crystalizing... I don't know much about the new diesel systems so would appreciate some education on this please.

and to the OP, I'd say gas would be ok for the frequency but for sure go 4.10 rear end.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I thought the new diesels didn't like to sit around with DEF being the main issue? clogging/crystalizing... I don't know much about the new diesel systems so would appreciate some education on this please.

and to the OP, I'd say gas would be ok for the frequency but for sure go 4.10 rear end.

I'd go for the diesel, the cost bump is around 8 to 10% of the price (of course dependent of the MSRP).

DEF issues were grossly overstated mostly due to dealers claiming "bad DEF" when the trucks would come in for emissions service. Then there was a lot of loose talk that spurred from the dealer's claims on various forums, all unfounded.

Chrysler issued two recalls on 2013 through 2015 2500 and 3500's equipped with the Cummins. The recalls replaced the SRC, eliminated an ammonia sensor, and added new ECM software. Since the recalls, the conversation about DEF and dealer claims of "bad DEF" have disappeared from the forums.

DEF isn't as delicate as some would lead you to believe. From Cummins;
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/def
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/south-pacific/adblue-diesel-exhaust-fluid

There is a lot of talk floating around on the Internet about DEF and diesel engines, most of it is completely wrong, no surprise there. I don't know how many times I've read a phrase that went some like "all that emissions crap", or the "emissions cause unreliability". This typically comes from someone that never owned a modern diesel. The fact is, the current emissions make the diesel more efficent, longer lasting, and air cleaning vehicle (in some cities that is). The diesel emissions have been moved from the engine downstream to the exhaust. The engine is now tuned for efficiency and not for emissions. This emission design has been in operation on over the road diesels since 2010 and now on our pick-ups.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like any new technology the first run was the most problematic. I've seen/heard a lot more problems with the engines of 6-8 years ago with regards to the emission stuff than new ones. This is on both our truck engines and some of the bigger ones on big class A diesel pushers. I'd have no problem owning a newer diesel.

OP, @ 12K and for the usage you describe you could go either way. If you go gas I'd skip the 4.10s and go right for a re-gear at 4.56 or something in that ballpark. That's not an option from Ram so you'd have to do that after purchase. That usually runs +/- $1000/axle so if you have a 4X4 you'd be looking at roughly 1/3 the cost of the diesel upgrade (I know it's $9000 but that's MSRP - real world it's more like $6500).

OP
OP
G

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Thats all pretty much what I suspected.

FWIW, it'll be my go to daily driver when not towing. A diesel seems excessive for that, but so does the whole truck. It would get used as a truck in between tow duties, occasionally pulling a 6k lbs trailer also, but nothing a half ton couldn't do.

I've regeared plenty of axles, but I'm not interested in doing that on a truck I've paid $40k+ for. I usually keep vehicles for 12+yrs and prefer to keep my daily reliable and unmodded. I've got other toys to play with.

There are a lot of variables that go into buying a truck. I'm really just interested in opinions of towing abilities at the moment. 12k lbs seems like an odd spot. I want to say that when I looked a 6.4 4.10 truck was only capable of 13k lbs roughly, whereas a diesel truck was 17k lbs. We have two diesel rams at work that we tow with and the power and braking abilities are just so awesome! Its hard to not want one, even though I may not need it.

Anyone ever shelled out the extra cash for a diesel and regretted it?

Kevin

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I'm remembering right the 3.73 axle 6.4 Hemi is rated to pull 12,500 (19,500 total including the truck). The 4.10 gives you 3000# more for 15,500 (22,500 with the truck).

If I were shopping for a new gasser to haul heavy the Ford 6.2 with the 4.30 gears sure looks nice.

I'm not sure if you've stumbled across it yet with your research but the tranny with the 6.4 Hemi basically sucks. And the problems are really noticed when towing heavy. 1-2 gap is a mile (ratios for this tranny were borrowed from the diesel and are not ideal for gas). Also, some of the shifting behavior is annoying. Manually shifting takes care of most of the problems but that 1-2 gap is a real *****.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, I would go with the diesel. My travel trailer weighs loaded about 10,500 pounds. I may tow it 3 or 4 times a year. But, the truck is also my daily driver. So, when I figure 15 miles per gallon on the highway versus 22 miles per gallon on the highway I went with the diesel. I do not regret it at all. I do not find the diesel being much more expensive to operate that a gas engine. Also, Those that are recommending the 6.4 hemi, which is a great motor, they are all saying get the 4.10 gears. In my area it is very difficult to find 4.10 gears, so for, me that would be another reason to get the diesel.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had the same decision a year ago, but decided to go gas and 4:10 gears. My trailer is around 10k lbs , which is less than mentioned in this post. However, I don’t see any issues. The 6.4 has plenty of power with these gears. A diesel may tow better, but you lose 800 lbs of payload. FYI - I do know of people who have had issues with DEF on modern diesels. One of which the dealer took back within 3 months. They are not meant to be short commute, daily drivers. If you are only towing 4-5 times a year the gas would be fine. I surely have no regrets! I towed our trailer 2200 miles this summer and the only complaint I have is my wife telling me to slow down. Many talk about the 1-2 shift issues, I don’t see it. The truck acts like it should.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd go for the diesel, the cost bump is around 8 to 10% of the price (of course dependent of the MSRP).

DEF issues were grossly overstated mostly due to dealers claiming "bad DEF" when the trucks would come in for emissions service. Then there was a lot of loose talk that spurred from the dealer's claims on various forums, all unfounded.

Chrysler issued two recalls on 2013 through 2015 2500 and 3500's equipped with the Cummins. The recalls replaced the SRC, eliminated an ammonia sensor, and added new ECM software. Since the recalls, the conversation about DEF and dealer claims of "bad DEF" have disappeared from the forums.

DEF isn't as delicate as some would lead you to believe. From Cummins;
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/def
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/south-pacific/adblue-diesel-exhaust-fluid

There is a lot of talk floating around on the Internet about DEF and diesel engines, most of it is completely wrong, no surprise there. I don't know how many times I've read a phrase that went some like "all that emissions crap", or the "emissions cause unreliability". This typically comes from someone that never owned a modern diesel. The fact is, the current emissions make the diesel more efficent, longer lasting, and air cleaning vehicle (in some cities that is). The diesel emissions have been moved from the engine downstream to the exhaust. The engine is now tuned for efficiency and not for emissions. This emission design has been in operation on over the road diesels since 2010 and now on our pick-ups.

Dag nabit! I should have gone diesel. Thanks for that info. Still love my 6.4. But definitely makes diesel a more real choice for my next truck purchase... in about 4 more years.. when V8 gas engines are all dead and replaced by turbo 6s... :)

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ those that complain are the gas owners ... not the diesel owners...

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Say you had an enclosed trailer that fully loaded weighed in at 12K lbs. Say you towed this trailer 4-6 times a year, anywhere from 200 to 400 miles with an occasional 900 mile trip all out west with mountains and such. Would you get by with a gas truck, or go for the diesel that can easily pull it?

Kevin

You MIGHT be looking at the wrong brand of truck...How about a 5.0Litre...V-8...Turbo Diesel Cummins...310 hp...555 ft/lbs Torque...12,000+ towing capacity...2000# payload...Crew Cab...5 yr...100,000 mi BUMBER TO BUMBER Warrenty...A smart consumer/negotiator can get this truck for UNDER $40,000.00

New 2017 Nissan Titan XD For Sale | Janesville WI

May not be the EXACT truck for you...BUT...I bet you can find another that is similar, or order a NEW 2018 for close $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Look at used diesels vs used gas trucks especially on higher mileage trucks. You'll probably notice the resale makes up for the majority of the initial cost if you go HD so it's worth putting that into the equation when deciding.

OP
OP
G

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Also, Those that are recommending the 6.4 hemi, which is a great motor, they are all saying get the 4.10 gears. In my area it is very difficult to find 4.10 gears, so for, me that would be another reason to get the diesel.

I was pretty sold on the 6.4 until two things happened, I can't find any and for the price of a 6.4 I can get a diesel with a few more miles. I have only found one 4.10 truck within 100mi of me and its a 5.7 work truck. Looking at prices a comparable 6.4 truck with 50k miles is about the same price as a cummins with 100k. Another way to look at it, for the price of a tradesman cummins, I can get a nicer optioned gasser, still not a laramie though. I'm looking at used prices by the way. I guess it depends on what floats your boat.

Resale is the kicker. I can't imagine a gas truck will be worth much at 200k when I sell it, and the diesel will still be chugging along in the double digits, assuming not much changes economically.

Kevin

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Resale is the kicker. I can't imagine a gas truck will be worth much at 200k when I sell it, and the diesel will still be chugging along in the double digits, assuming not much changes economically.

A buddy is in the final stages of a divorce and has an 02 Duramax. This truck was totally beat to hell when he bought it 8 years ago with 200K+ miles. It's now coming up on 300K and I can't believe the thing rolls. As part of the divorce a value must be assigned to everything. I think they settled on something around 7K. I was shocked. I would think you'd have to pay someone to take a truck with 300K but it seems any diesel that moves and stops is worth at least 5K.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The used market on diesels is a fckn joke atm... people are fckn ******** to pay 30k plus for a 10 year old truck with over 100k miles on it. The damn thing probably barely cost 35k when originally sold. Just my opinion but the used diesel market really ****** me off when I look at trucks. I get it the motor it’s self lasts for 500k- but it’s got the same weak spots as a gas motor- same hoses, belts, more expensive plugs and fuel injectors... aside from the block and internals, the bolt ons will go long before the block does, and I think we can all agree the same can be said for a gas motor. My 02 Chevy Silverado with 214k miles blue booked for 9.5k- no way I was going to get that on resale or trade when I sold it in 2014 for my Ram.