Gear Ratio mismatched

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Walter Joy, Oct 22, 2016.

1. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    it would likely cost more to do those upgrades next time if you decided to do them since you would have to have the drums machined back to full width again.

also the truck could possibly have more than 44,000 miles on it. with my knowledge of these truck i know the odometers on an 89 are only 5 digits so it would never have over 99,999 before it would roll over.

2. Walter Joy

Walter Joy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L (360) TBI V8
    Nope. This is a true 44,000 mile truck. Been in my family since 1992. When we were trying to diagnose why only 5 of 8 cylinders were firing earlier this year and the rough idle, we replaced the original distributor cap and spark plug wires. (Rough idle was due to Fuel Pressure Regulator going bad and led to gas in oil)

3. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    you just never know with older trucks. sometimes people just forget when they roll over. i changed mine to reflect how many miles i have personally put on the truck. 44,000 is just really low mileage for an older truck. most usually roll at least once

4. Walter Joy

Walter Joy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L (360) TBI V8
    The reason it has so few miles is it is barely driven. My grandfather bought it and drove it for a while, but it was too big for him. It occasionally went out into town to pick me up from preschool and to go to the dump (this was 12-13 years ago) but we took it off the road and drove it around our property doing stuff. Plus 9 miles per gallon and a 30 gallon tank isn't the most cost friendly setup the past 10 years

5. CVX20

CVX20 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    If the ratio's aren't the same it would just bind up and not want to move at all in 4wd(unless maybe you're on glare ice).Believe me you could tell just by driving it in 4wd(providing the t-case and frt axle are working properly).

6. Sniper X

Sniper X Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Many who drive a lot in snow or mud intentionally do a taller ratio in front so the front spins faster. On a regular 4x4 I would not do this but I am also one who is thinking the tag is probably wrong. Check the ring and pinon on both just count the number of teeth on both front and rear. I'll bet they are the same.