Getting ready for winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just getting ready for the Michigan winter.
Quarter power wash (No brush)... I didn't plan on doing any of this today
Meguiars Synthetic Sealant 2.0... good stuff
Collinite #845... first time trying this
Adams Butter Wax... for pop
Adams Detail Spray...cause why not
Adams Tire Shine... as always
Adams VRT on all black trim.... best out there for black trim

Bring on the salt!

Attachments

• 20171104_120144.jpg
    20171104_120144.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 20171104_115851.jpg
    20171104_115851.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sealant and 2 types of wax?

OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couldn't stop myself

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not a bad list. The collinite 845 is something i havent tried yet but want to. I heard the durability is awesome.

OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull Ya recommend it ... it's very thick, and you need to put it on thin. I was just going to do my wheels, but since I had it in hand , figured why not do the truck. I put the butter wax over that, just for pop. It's more of a show wax, and won't last nearly as long as the Collinite, figured it couldn't hurt, and always makes my black truck look amazing..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good for the outside ....but what are you doing for rust prevention? Those Michigan winters are brutal!

Most rust is going to start at points from the edge of the sheet metal, behind the sheet metal (where you can't see or easily wash it off) or under paint chips which turn into blisters. Get some oil going in the seams. Read the Fluid Film thread going on now.

How long do you plan to keep your truck?

OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plan of it for a while.... this is a 2016 bought new.... my old truck was a 2004 Dakota.... not sure I can get 12 years out of this one, we shall see.

I will definitely check out that thread.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they have Krown in Michigan? Might be worth the drive across the border to get it done.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull Ya recommend it ... it's very thick, and you need to put it on thin. I was just going to do my wheels, but since I had it in hand , figured why not do the truck. I put the butter wax over that, just for pop. It's more of a show wax, and won't last nearly as long as the Collinite, figured it couldn't hurt, and always makes my black truck look amazing..

If you havent heard yet just a tip i came across. its recommended to put the collinite bottle in warm water for a while. if you can warm it up it makes it a bit thinner and easier to work with.

OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He left that part out lol.... thanks for the tip, will use it next time

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, in the summer time down here in Tx it stays pretty thin. In the winter I keep the bottle inside instead of in the garage, but I still warm the container up to thin it out a little. If you like you can try either Opti Spray Wax or McGee Spray Wax after you wash the truck. I dry my truck and then do a quick spray with the Opti just for a little more protection and to make the Collinite pop a little more. Takes about 15-20 minutes to spray and wipe off with a microfiber. If you want to take a step up for an excellent spray wax that gives unbelieveable gloss and depth you can try Polish Angel High Gloss. One warning--PA products are not cheap!!! Check them out on autopia. I use their spray wax before car shows and on "special" occasions. I can't afford weekly use.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-car-wax.html#.Wf4_lFtSyG4
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mckees-trademark-extender-wax.html#.Wf5AEVtSyG4
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-high-gloss.html#.Wf4-XVtSyG4
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet Jesus... $70.00 for spray wax?? Ouch!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Do you need to wax on top of the sealant. Local shop has the ultimum kit. It’s 350 bucks then 500+ to put it on. 5 year coverage. Rain just flies right off it. Supposed to be easy clean up. Guys run it thru auto car washer and comes out like new again. I’m impressed. Just not impressed with the price? Is it worth it??? That’s the question.....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure it's a sealant and not a ceramic coating? Sealants usually last about 6-8 months depending on your washing schedule and technique and whether the vehicle is left outside or garaged. Generally coatings that have that long of a guarantee are the better coatings and they can cost upwards of a seven hundred fifty to a thousand dollars if they correct your paint before the coating is installed. You can however get cheaper coatings or you can buy them and install them yourself. They usually last a minimum of 2 years, however you still have to maintain the surface.
Some people put a wax over a sealant to increase the protection and give more gloss and depth, however you don't have too. If you run your truck through a car wash, unless it is a "no touch" you are going to get small scratches on the surface from the swirling brushes or the "strips" that hang down and "rub" the dirt off the surface. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal decision.
Jay

OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull Ya is the resident detail expert, and will probably do a much better job than me explaining it .
Think of it as a layers of protection. The Sealer will last longer, if there is a layer of wax on top of it, and adds more shine. I wouldn't say you have to wax on top of a sealer, but it helps make the sealer last, add gloss and depth. There are sealers/wax combo. Black Light from.Chemical Guys comes to mind. I've used it several times, and like it. But I like it more with a layer of wax over it for more protection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See he is even faster than me to hit reply lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm no expert--just like to mess with detailing and have been doing it in one form or another for over 50 yrs. Seen a lot of products come and go, but some of the products they have now really do a great job, although they are sure proud of some of them. Painting techniques have also changed significantly over the years. Everyone seems to have their favorite products and if it works for them I'm happy for them. I've made my selections from hit or miss and I'm always open to trying new products and listening to everyone's ideas. I also learn a lot from autopia and autogeek---those guys are the experts.
Jay

DISCLAIMER:
Just because this is the internet for some reason I feel compelled to add this. My opinions are just that-my opinions. They are based on my research and usage of different products I talk about or make comments about. Your results using any of these products may be different. As I said, I'm am not an expert, I learn everyday from reading people's posts and listening to their experiences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaizeNBlue

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SOB ... I talked myself into a bottle of Polish Angel High Gloss *smh*

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you got it on yet????? Pictures and impressions are required---LOL
If you don't like it or if it doesn't live up to the hype---I'll buy the remaining amount you have. After you put it on, it seems to look better after about 24 hours. You should be able to do your truck 2 or 3 times with just the one bottle. If less is better, then much less is more better---:)
Remember this thread
http://www.ramforum.com/f7/new_spray_wax_not_faint_hearted-93020/
Jay