Ghosted pinstripes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have suggestions on how to remove ghosted pinstripes on my truck?

I recently removed 5-6 yr old pinstripes that were on my black truck since they were cracking and looking like crap. I was able to remove some with a heat gun, but the majority were removed with a 3M eraser wheel. I used Goo Gone to remove any adhesive and then used acetone to get a little more off. I then washed the affected areas.

The pinstripes are gone, but now it is ghosted on the paint. Some areas seem to still have some sort of hardened residue that I cannot remove. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure I could find a local detailer to take of it, but I would prefer to do it if I can do it in a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think you have 2 issues that need to be addressed; 1 is the residue still on the vehicle. Try picking up sap & bug remover and see if that helps to remove the residue, I'm pretty surprised actually if you used an eraser wheel that there is still residue left though, those things are usually pretty good at pulling it all up. 2 is the "ghosting" this could be the clear coat has aged on the vehicle and now that you removed 5-6 year old pinstriping you are seeing the difference of the area that was being protected all those years. I think you'll need some paint correction. Personally I'm a fan of Chemical Guys and they have a polish & compound kit with 4 different grits of compound in it. I'd pick that up and start low and work up as needed.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a quick buff with some wax should do the trick pretty much.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wax does not have any abrasive in it. As was stated above you will probably need to polish it out then use a wax or sealant on it. Remember ALWAYS use the least abrasive product first. I'm also surprised about the eraser wheel--you might also try 3M Adhesive Remover--it's some pretty heavy duty stuff.
Jay

Move Over

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened on my old G35, and i used a light CG all in one polish (P40) with a Porter Cable DA Buffer and a wax . Worked well.