Going to try and increase my MPG'S!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if my truck is dry its about 115 to fill my truck up and i have the 32 gallon tank

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I expect to see a $200 tank fill within a few years, maybe sooner.

Pricing in Buffalo sounds real good to me. I always fill up in Port Angeles, Washington on my way back home from a cross border shopping trip but haven't been down in this new Ram yet.

...Oh and my pricing is for the regular octane - cheap stuff.

Last edited:

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAMN! Yea, we are at 1.26 for reg and 1.36 for 91 octance and 1.40 for 94 octane. Still pricey

In BC we have an additional carbon tax on fuel to help pay for public transit and stuff. But I live in a rural area so we're paying tax for something we don't even have access to, and we have further to drive and a need for larger vehicles (esp. agriculture).

edit: sorry, don't mean to hijack OP's thread. just interested in fuel saving measures that are practical and realistic.

Last edited:

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To Glock, I think if you want to help your mileage, then decrease tire weight and definitely get a tuner. I saw my biggest improvement with a hemifever tune. City for me is 12-13 mpg but every time I go to camp driving 55-60 mph (100 miles one-way), the last 3 trips I've averaged over 16 mpg. My tires are fairly light and narrow for 37s but if I went wider, they'd drop it quick. On the interstate, if I try to hold 70 mph, mileage for sure takes a hit but I don't care, I'm sure not going to baby it.

Oh and my 12 has 3.92 gears. I can tell you first hand, this truck drives and tows alot better than my 09 with 3.55 gears. But like the guys said, it would take more money to improve the mileage than what you would save overall.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
To the people wanting to know about how to get your vehicle in 4cyc mode when you get up to 20-25 quit accelerating until it kicks into 4cyc mode (about 5-6 seconds) and lightly press the gas petal, mine goes for about 18-20 to 56 mph after that it will kick out once I am in 5th gear(past 64 mph) if I slow down to 60 my truck will go back into 4cyc mode again. 4cyc mode reacts to extremely light acceleration and is much slower than a prius,but it does save gas, just a matter of if you have the patience.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the people wanting to know about how to get your vehicle in 4cyc mode when you get up to 20-25 quit accelerating until it kicks into 4cyc mode (about 5-6 seconds) and lightly press the gas petal, mine goes for about 18-20 to 56 mph after that it will kick out once I am in 5th gear(past 64 mph) if I slow down to 60 my truck will go back into 4cyc mode again. 4cyc mode reacts to extremely light acceleration and is much slower than a prius,but it does save gas, just a matter of if you have the patience.

Hmmmm.....very interesting.

lincoln81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

do you have a "eco" light on yours when your in 4 cyl?
I have a 2013 sport and I dont know if it still drops down to 4cyl or what... no eco light here... and i dont drive it hard

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
No I don't, once you change mufflers you can hear when it kicks in(or if you have a exhaust leak lol) you can feel it change over after awhile because the gas peddle feels firmer or at least mine does.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For all they money you are going to spend on tires and a tuner you will never make back in gas savings. I don't get why people want to spend a lot of money to get better gas millage in a big ass truck lol. Want good gas millage buy a prius.

I agree!:leghump:

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A lot of your tire weight is in those 20s and all the sidewall reinforcement they need. I seen a considerable change switching my 18s because its bringing that outward weight inward. The tires are a lot lighter in that area too and cheaper. If you want economy I say go to a 17 and get some at 35s. Also your gonna have to change your cruising habits. For mileage around 55mph on my 35s put me in the sweet spot rpms. Now with my 37s its 60-65 and I can cruise around 14-15mpg.

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sure this will sound stupid but when I did my body lift I had the battery disconnected for 3 days, before that I was getting 12.3 average mpg and now same route to work over the last 2 weeks I am averaging 15.8. I am not sure if something reset when the truck was disconnected or what.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For all they money you are going to spend on tires and a tuner you will never make back in gas savings. I don't get why people want to spend a lot of money to get better gas millage in a big ass truck lol. Want good gas millage buy a prius.

You're right, it's not worth spending a lot of money to save a few bucks a year on gas but keep in mind also that some people are probably paying a lot more for gas than you, and some people need the truck for work/business and a Prius wouldn't exactly be a substitute. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a truck for the truck's sake but there,s nothing wrong with looking to make adjustments to save a little at the gas station either. If they came out with a pick- up that got 30 mpg, who would refuse to buy it because it was too good on gas? Nobody. It would be an added benefit of an already great vehicle. That's why the truck manufacturers are all screaming their fuel economy lies from the roof tops.

Either way, I've been driving a Ram truck longer than some people here have been alive and I make no apologies about wishing they were a little better on gas. Making the rich oil Barron's richer ain't my job just because I haul **** around in a nice comfortable vehicle.

Last edited:

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure this will sound stupid but when I did my body lift I had the battery disconnected for 3 days, before that I was getting 12.3 average mpg and now same route to work over the last 2 weeks I am averaging 15.8. I am not sure if something reset when the truck was disconnected or what.

The evic resets to 16(at least it did on my 11) when the battery is disconnected and reconnected. Gonna have to hand calculate to find true mpg this tank, and reset the average mpg when you fill up

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove a few miles and reset my evic after that to try to get an accurate reading.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy a 4.7 truck .
Driving with the preverbable egg under my foot, i'm getting 31 miles per gallon at 55 mph out of my 4.7

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Always a fun thread! Add ons are so overrated. Nearly none of them pay for themselves. Especially if one sounds good, because then you are more than likely to "enjoy" it more with the ole right foot. Nitrogen is my favorite BS. Completely disproven on several TV shows. The only thing I like was the cheap car idea. Maybe it won't completely pay for itself in mpg, then again it might depending on what you get, but it could help out on wear and tear. I know if you end up selling your truck in the future one with say 80K will bring in more green than one with 110K. My 05 Frontier with 75K got top dollar when I traded it in and the dealership said it was the low miles. I spent a lot of miles on a motorcycle to keep the miles down. Course the motorcycle did help with mpg as well, but that cost was off set by insurance and the tag.

At 15K miles/year at 12mpg wt gas say $3.50 you'll spend 4375 at 16mpg you'll spend 3281.25. To me spread out over a year not really a whole lot of difference to not enjoy the truck.

Drive the truck. Put huge tires and wheels on it and grin at the ladies, because there's something women like about a pickup man!!!

Last edited:

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Buy a 4.7 truck .
Driving with the preverbable egg under my foot, i'm getting 31 miles per gallon at 55 mph out of my 4.7

Yuck where's the dislike button!!! That's a whole lot of truck for that 4.7 to carry around.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL,it's no tire burner that's for sure,but the little truck isn't that bad for power for a 4.7.
Regular cab 4X2 shortbox,so it crosses the scales at 4752 lbs full of gas.
It's light in the realm of trucks these days,and from 4,000 grand up,a Hemi powered crewcab 4X4 doesn't really run away from it,under that,it gets it's ass kicked though,lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963