good wax for Brilliant Black Pearlescent paint job...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
best way to hide scratches is to buff them out :) :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
best way to hide scratches is to buff them out :) :hidesbehindsofa:

Shadow agreed , I have used Scratch X with some moderate success so far, but I'm looking for something that helps protect the paint from future scratches, and maybe some tips to help preserve the paint. First time ever owning a black vehicle with metallic flake in it. :p

Also what are you guys using to dry your truck once you have washed it? Microfiber towel? I hear chamois isn't a good idea on black paint. I have also read of using a leaf blower?

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
chamois isn't good regardless of the color. go hang out in the detailing section for a while, then come back and ask questions. There's lots to read there

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Clay your truck a lot if that is what you are worried about, up to 4 times a year. Stay away from micro fiber, better off with the Absorber or even a chamois. Fillers don't really work. Wax is a double edge sword, when the dust collects on it you can actually get swirls when you are washing it off. Sealant like zaino, a good washing procedure with a lot of suds, and good drying procedure.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The detail section on this forum will give you a wealth of information about the care of your paint. That being said, most scratches in your paint occur because of poor wash techniques. Make sure you are using the 2 bucket method. You can use "fillers" to fill the scratches instead of polishing them out, however if you use the fillers the scratches will just reappear after a couple of washes. Once you polish the scratches out, I would recommend using a quality sealant on your paint. The reason for this is that a sealant will last for about 6 months, whereas a good quality wax will only last about 2-3 weeks. You can top a sealant with a wax for extra protection and a little extra "pop" and depth. Everyone has their own favorite products. I would recommend going to autopia, which is a professional detail site and look at some of the products that professional detailers use. You can also buy a variety of products there also. Adams is also a vendor on this site and a lot of members like their products also.
Here is an excellent towel to dry your truck without worrying about leaving scratches and you only need one towel for the whole truck. I have used this towel for a couple of years and wouldn't use anything else.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-drying-towel-griots-garage.html#.WmvWKq6nGG4
If you have any additional questions you might go to the detail section and we'll try to answer any question you have.
Jay

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Stay away from micro fiber, better off with the Absorber or even a chamois.

I'd wager that 98% of detailers around the world will disagree. Chamois have ZERO buffer to take contaminants away from your paint; they simply drag it along. great microfiber cloths are invaluable to a detailer

Shadow thanks for the link and the awesome info in it! Never clay barred a vehicle before, is it tedious work? Also is it easy to mess up your finish if you have never done it?

clay is relatively safe as long as you don't drop it on the ground and immediately put it back on your paint. you either toss it out and start with a new piece, or you risk scratching the paint.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Use lots of clay lub
Jay

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do yourself a favor and have it professionally done, then get it ceramic coated. Best decision and money I ever spent. Now I get to keep my brilliant black clean by running through a car wash and not worrying about the swirlies!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Clean well, clay bar and then prob a ceramic coat. I don’t like the ceramic coat and I prefer to use a self applied long lasting coating.

Here’s what I’m doing currently.

Foam cannon with chemical guys melon cannon foam. Then wash with a micro fiber mit, then seal with chemical guys top coat or jet seal. After the initial sealing you repeat the same foam cannon to get all the crap off the truck and then mit wash to clean it and then hit with your favorite short term wax which will be Adams buttery wax (new formula).

For your initial wash/seal you should prob clay bar before the seal. Unless the truck is brand new and the paint is clean.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---most "brand new trucks" are usually not "clean" and still need to be clay barred. A lot of them have rail dust and other contaminants on the surface from shipping. There may be some exceptions however. Don't assume that the dealer did a good job cleaning your new truck. They probably did more damage to the surface than they helped. Do the baggie test to find out if you need to clay bar.
Jay

Last edited:

rstang98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good quality polish and then a sealant like Klasse AIO will do wonders

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd wager that 98% of detailers around the world will disagree. Chamois have ZERO buffer to take contaminants away from your paint; they simply drag it along. great microfiber cloths are invaluable to a detailer

clay is relatively safe as long as you don't drop it on the ground and immediately put it back on your paint. you either toss it out and start with a new piece, or you risk scratching the paint.

I was a detailer for 4 years as a business owner until I graduated college, we used to have a club online the detailersclub, know defunked I guess. Many detailing supply manu's still try and contact me, know them personally. The issue with MF is when it picks something up it keeps it. Any grit at all and you wont know til the swirls are in. I agree we used MF ever since it was first invented and is a great tool, but for drying cars many of us prefer air or absorber type dryers. To each their own, I am aware a lot of people use MF.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was a detailer for 4 years as a business owner until I graduated college, we used to have a club online the detailersclub, know defunked I guess. Many detailing supply manu's still try and contact me, know them personally. The issue with MF is when it picks something up it keeps it. Any grit at all and you wont know til the swirls are in. I agree we used MF ever since it was first invented and is a great tool, but for drying cars many of us prefer air or absorber type dryers. To each their own, I am aware a lot of people use MF.
I have an absorber that I occasionally use, but it appears to leave streaks, do I need to buy a new one Burla?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
wash it in dawn soap, rinse with hot water, or get a new one.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Check out our Clay mitt, it does a great job and it's fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel