goose neck half ton truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
yes

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can but make sure your pin weight and GCVWR don't exceed the truck's payload and gross weight ratings

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Absolutely.

But where you gonna find a goose neck trailer that is light enough for you to safely tow? Let alone with a load on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s tons of gooseneck trailers. 14’ 16’ 18’ single axle. Double axle. Stock trailer, flatbed. 1500 can easily tow those. Just cause it’s a gooseneck don’t mean it has to load 10k+lbs. I’d rather tow and do tow goosenecks because they’re so much easier to pull. My 16’ stock trailer is the handiest little trailer I’ve ever had

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There’s tons of gooseneck trailers. 14’ 16’ 18’ single axle. Double axle. Stock trailer, flatbed. 1500 can easily tow those. Just cause it’s a gooseneck don’t mean it has to load 10k+lbs.

ssshhhh... the payload police don't want people to know the truth...lol

Usual Suspect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
One of these aluminum ones would be sweet wouldn't it?
al.JPG

drdarrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
ssshhhh... the payload police don't want people to know the truth...lol

Yes, those pesky payload police, the ones who actually do the arithmetic necessary to ensure they are within their vehicle and trailer limits. Because God knows, no one is ever stupid or ignorant enough to exceed their AWR, GVWR or CVWR of their truck and trailer!

Well, this payload cop towed a 14,000 # Fifth wheel over 10,000 miles last year and over 5,000 so far this year, up and down some grades as steep as 9%, so I have some idea of what I’m talking about. The problem isn’t can you pull it, it’s can you control it under all types of conditions.

Now, a goose neck tandem axle aluminum stock trailer has a GVWR of about 12,000#. With two, 5,000# axles, that’s going to put about 2,000# on the pin. That weight, plus whatever else the truck is carrying, will easily exceed the CVWR and the rear AWR of most 1/2 ton pickups. Weighing it loaded, which most people don’t do, tells the real story.

So. to the OP’s question. Yes you can put a goose neck hitch on a 1/2 ton. But for any reason other than ease of towing, what would be the point? You will have a hitch that’s capable of handling 20-30,000# on a tow vehicle capable of handling a fraction of that weight. That would be very much like putting a 12,000# hitch on a 1/2 ton. You got one heck of a hitch safety factor but your limiting factor is still the TV.

drdarrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
There’s tons of gooseneck trailers. 14’ 16’ 18’ single axle. Double axle. Stock trailer, flatbed. 1500 can easily tow those. Just cause it’s a gooseneck don’t mean it has to load 10k+lbs. I’d rather tow and do tow goosenecks because they’re so much easier to pull. My 16’ stock trailer is the handiest little trailer I’ve ever had

Point taken.
You pull your 16’ stock trailer with what?
What are your weight ratings on truck and trailer?
And loaded as heavy as you’ve ever loaded truck and trailer, what were your weights?
Just because it’s handy, doesn’t make it safe.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes, those pesky payload police, the ones who actually do the arithmetic necessary to ensure they are within their vehicle and trailer limits. Because God knows, no one is ever stupid or ignorant enough to exceed their AWR, GVWR or CVWR of their truck and trailer!

Well, this payload cop towed a 14,000 # Fifth wheel over 10,000 miles last year and over 5,000 so far this year, up and down some grades as steep as 9%, so I have some idea of what I’m talking about. The problem isn’t can you pull it, it’s can you control it under all types of conditions.

Now, a goose neck tandem axle aluminum stock trailer has a GVWR of about 12,000#. With two, 5,000# axles, that’s going to put about 2,000# on the pin. That weight, plus whatever else the truck is carrying, will easily exceed the CVWR and the rear AWR of most 1/2 ton pickups. Weighing it loaded, which most people don’t do, tells the real story.

So. to the OP’s question. Yes you can put a goose neck hitch on a 1/2 ton. But for any reason other than ease of towing, what would be the point? You will have a hitch that’s capable of handling 20-30,000# on a tow vehicle capable of handling a fraction of that weight. That would be very much like putting a 12,000# hitch on a 1/2 ton. You got one heck of a hitch safety factor but your limiting factor is still the TV.

my someone sure is butt hurt..
Appearantly you didn't realize there are gooseneck trailers light enough for a half ton truck to tow... safely
Chill out and unplug for a while, my comment was meant for a laugh.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Point taken.
You pull your 16’ stock trailer with what?
What are your weight ratings on truck and trailer?
And loaded as heavy as you’ve ever loaded truck and trailer, what were your weights?
Just because it’s handy, doesn’t make it safe.

I have a 2500. I haul cattle. And a flatbed I put a 40hp tractor and shedder on. I’m simply stating just because you have a “gooseneck” don’t mean you have to load it to max. Like all the 1 ton duality I see hauling around a 12’ single axle trailer with a 4 wheeler on it. Not nearly maxed. Just because somebody went bigger don’t mean they have to use it to full potential. It’s up to op to decide what he wants to haul and if he feels h can do it legally or safely. I don’t even com close to using my 2500 to full potential. But it’s nice to know I ha w room to grow into it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Appearantly you didn't realize there are gooseneck trailers light enough for a half ton truck to tow... safely
The payload police stuck again :gayfight:

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Yes, there are gooseneck trailer light enough for a half ton to tow, but why would you haul around en empty trailer? You need 15 to 20% pin weight with a goose neck, even a fairly light 8k trailer will put you over your payload with just passengers and en empty trailer.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can tell them, and you can show them, but some people are just gonna do what they are gonna do....period.

Right. Wrong. Indifferent.

I put a 16k rated hitch on a 1/2 ton truck/SUV (the one in my avatar).......1) I needed a tow hitch, 2) I used it more as a recovery point than a hitch.

Class V extra duty.......2" insert

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yes, there are gooseneck trailer light enough for a half ton to tow, but why would you haul around en empty trailer? You need 15 to 20% pin weight with a goose neck, even a fairly light 8k trailer will put you over your payload with just passengers and en empty trailer.
8k weigh empty. Whatttttt. That’s a big trailer still. People hear gooseneck and hear heavy duty. There are light 14’ & 16’ trailers that will get the job done. Again don’t have to load 14k lbs on it.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, in the pic above, the trailer is 3850 lbs, which means 600-800 lbs or so lbs of tongue weight....with an empty trailer.

On a 1500, that eats up 1/2 to 3/4 of the payload on a 1/2 ton truck......and that's with no driver. passenger, or cargo

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I have a turnover GN ball for a flat bed surface or GN tow plus the Andersen 5er adapter in my 1500. I don't use it often but they have paid for themselves having transported only two new empty GN trailers and one small older 5th wheel camper on back hauls. Commercial transporter fuel economy & utility being key I use the little Ecodiesel as there is an abundance of smaller loads especially living near and contracting with Airstream TTs.

The 5er was little, guy who owned pulled it behind an old Dakota. I see a fair amount of these older small 5ers out west. The 1500 is obviously more limited but depends on a persons needs & preferences. And whats wrong with running by a scale they are all over the place now days. Download the free CAT app and it has a locator with GPS directions. Funny that even when it makes sense and is within limits it obviously irks some people. While I would not buy a 1500 specifically for trailering 8k and up loads the 1500 can do it and reasonably well if properly loaded.

Here is the Andersen GN to 5er adapter. Fits all standard brand hitches keeps warranty in place rated to 4,500 TW 24,000 GTWR and weighs only 35 pounds. No stupid rails across your bed or 100 plus pound monstrosity here.

3220-ultimate-connection-web-pic-with-red-funnel-2017.jpg

The blue truck below isn't mine but was linked earlier in this thread from the Ram1500diesel forum. A 10k load custom center axled GN trailer (trailer caries the weight minimal pin weight) this guy took it from PA to WY with factory 3.92s a tune with turbo brake and air bags it did quite well. Max CVWR for the 4th gen 1500 is 15,950 so I am sure he is close to that.

eavy-duty-towing-little-tank-ecodiesel-can-do-tow4.jpg

I've done CVW of 15,800 over a 1,000 miles from Oregon to LA area going over 6 percent grades on the 5 over Mount Shasta pass and up the grapevine before coming into LA. It was a 33" floorplan 3 slide TT weighing 9,086 using a no sway WDH set up per scale results it was stable with no sway. The turbo brake & trailer brake controller making the descent quite comfortable. In fact my original brakes went 293k. Same setup 3.92 with turbo brake from tune & airbags. Another poster Bounty Hunter took a 16,000 CVW Toy Hauler across MO down the hilly 44. No sway WDH set up per the scales again with tune brake & airbags. Point is the 1500 can be quite capable safe & reliable you just have to learn to setup your load utilizing a CAT scale. Don't get me wrong these are max weight examples that would be better suited for an HD but can a 1500 do a reasonable load sure just learn to utilize the scales.