goose neck half ton truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eqcmjhuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HAVE been toeing 7400 pound fifth wheel 960 tung weight three years.1500 hundred 5.7 right rear end, air shock.GOT to know what your doing regardless of how big the truck is.WHATS the point here410 torque appr,400 hpapp.TRIP back in time blowouts were on front tires, years past no duelly up there.PROPER air pressure hows she setting,do brakes heat up.BIG worry transmission.TOEING is a skill not for the everyday dude.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HAVE been toeing 7400 pound fifth wheel 960 tung weight three years.1500 hundred 5.7 right rear end, air shock.GOT to know what your doing regardless of how big the truck is.WHATS the point here410 torque appr,400 hpapp.TRIP back in time blowouts were on front tires, years past no duelly up there.PROPER air pressure hows she setting,do brakes heat up.BIG worry transmission.TOEING is a skill not for the everyday dude.

can you translate ?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
eqcmjhuff, Welcome to the forum. 7400 5th wheel is a fair load for a 1500. 960 on the pin suggests you have it loaded well. Yes towing experience is valuable and still somewhat of a skill even with the better trucks of today. Sounds like you have been towing MANY years. I tow travel trailers and boats for the manufactures to their dealerships nationwide over the mountains and across the windy plains with my 1500 Ecodiesel. 433,000 on a 14. Thankfully the tires of today are much better as is the transmission as you know having a 2016. The 8 speed in mine is original but I have done fluid & filter changes four times and plan to do another soon. With the 1500 diesel tune I have the turbo brake in conjunction with the trailer brake controller descending grades with lots of weight pushing you is never an issue as the truck brakes are not heated controlling the downhill speed. Still takes some basic understanding and respect for momentum and weight.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
We see many trucks pulling ATV trailers over to the Pismo dunes. A number are goose neck set up's. The ATV trailers are aluminum and carry 2-4 ATV's. Those that load properly. Use good sense when distributing the weight do just fine over the Hwys. They know and understand the convenience of the goose neck feature and relatively light load. Sadly and tragically, as suggested there are the D A's who over load. Hang add on's off the back and put their truck in squat danger. When it all ends poorly, "Geez POS truck or POS trailer"

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Yeah did you recognize something as this guy recently took this rig from Tahoe area to Pizmo and back. Sounds like a pretty together guy. Showed a pic with cruise on 61 had no heat issues and averaged 14.4 mpg for the trip. The truck has a tune and an engine brake & factory TBC. Said this slip was done earlier. After which he removed the tailgate and relocated the spare to behind the 5er which removed over 100 pounds from his truck. Still heck of a load for a 1500.

I towed a 30' TT out of Pizmo last spring that a guy inherited and took it to Illinois. I remember I had to take a pretty steep 2 lane over to the 5. The torquie little diesel with the 3.92 & 8 speed impressed me that day. The towing economy these little buggers can get if you keep the speed down is incredible. BTW Fitz do you own an 87GN as in 87 Buick Grand National? As I do. Actually bought it new.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yeah did you recognize something as this guy recently took this rig from Tahoe area to Pizmo and back. Sounds like a pretty together guy. Showed a pic with cruise on 61 had no heat issues and averaged 14.4 mpg for the trip. The truck has a tune and an engine brake & factory TBC. Said this slip was done earlier. After which he removed the tailgate and relocated the spare to behind the 5er which removed over 100 pounds from his truck. Still heck of a load for a 1500.

I towed a 30' TT out of Pizmo last spring that a guy inherited and took it to Illinois. I remember I had to take a pretty steep 2 lane over to the 5. The torquie little diesel with the 3.92 & 8 speed impressed me that day. The towing economy these little buggers can get if you keep the speed down in incredible. BTW Fitz do you own an 87GN as in 87 Buick Grand National? As I do. Actually bought it new.
Bought it new!!!! The ultimate. Yes I do. It is the most enjoyable (wicked fast) hot rod I have owned. Great connection Vern.

bigkyle72

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 and 2017
Engine
5.9 and 6.7
Yes, those pesky payload police, the ones who actually do the arithmetic necessary to ensure they are within their vehicle and trailer limits. Because God knows, no one is ever stupid or ignorant enough to exceed their AWR, GVWR or CVWR of their truck and trailer!

Well, this payload cop towed a 14,000 # Fifth wheel over 10,000 miles last year and over 5,000 so far this year, up and down some grades as steep as 9%, so I have some idea of what I’m talking about. The problem isn’t can you pull it, it’s can you control it under all types of conditions.

Now, a goose neck tandem axle aluminum stock trailer has a GVWR of about 12,000#. With two, 5,000# axles, that’s going to put about 2,000# on the pin. That weight, plus whatever else the truck is carrying, will easily exceed the CVWR and the rear AWR of most 1/2 ton pickups. Weighing it loaded, which most people don’t do, tells the real story.

So. to the OP’s question. Yes you can put a goose neck hitch on a 1/2 ton. But for any reason other than ease of towing, what would be the point? You will have a hitch that’s capable of handling 20-30,000# on a tow vehicle capable of handling a fraction of that weight. That would be very much like putting a 12,000# hitch on a 1/2 ton. You got one heck of a hitch safety factor but your limiting factor is still the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
bigkyle yes its a legit concern. Especially run away or controlling speed down a grade and or emergency stopping a load that is over CVWR. I will say having the factory trailer brake controller and a turbo brake from a tune as this fellow has as does my truck is a benefit of having the little diesel. He is over the max CVWR rating of a 4th gen 1500 which is 15,950.

Personally heaviest CVW I have towed is 15,800. I have taken that over longer 6 & 7 percent grades. Coming down I have no trouble setting my descent speed and keeping it there with no input from my foot IE truck brakes. So they stay cool in case I am in need of an emergency stop. My original brakes went 293k and I am still on my second set at nearly 440k. (truck tows commercially) So the towing doesn't seem to prematurely wear the brakes.

Emergency stop with up to the 15,800 I have worked with has been very respectable but I was working with a new trailer with good brakes and my gain maximized. Emergency stopping the CVW of the 18,100 he was towing I can't speak to but I am confident to the rated max of 4th gen 1500 platform.

Last edited: