Grill Mounted LED Mock-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wanted to share my current project. I searched high and low for this set up but I couldn't find many pictures. So here is mine. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places.

I'm trying to get better light up front while maintaining the stock look. This is just a trial, but if it doesn't accomplish what I am looking for I will move the light out from behind the grill.

I want to see how it functions before I hack the grill up. It does seem that the RAM logo will remove with ease and provide a good spot for unobstructed light.

I mocked up these brackets from a left over Jeep bumper I had laying around. I'll hit them with paint in the AM and wire the light. Not lose to being completed but I wanted to share with you guys.IMG_8757.jpgIMG_8763.jpgIMG_8752.jpgIMG_8754.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great idea IMO, perfect location

you don't plan on cutting out the honeycomb do you?

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a great idea IMO, perfect location

you don't plan on cutting out the honeycomb do you?

No, I don't want to cut the grill if I don't have too. If the light is obstructed I might try removing the RAM logo and putting it in that slot.

I love the location though.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should be fine w/o cutting, that really is s great location

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The only real issue I see with mounting the lights TO the grill is whether or not the grill can actually support the lights without any vibration.

Also cleaning them MAY be a little more difficult. i have 1.5" between my lights and my grill and i need a wire handled brush that I can bend to half-ass clean them (daily/weekly). To completely clean them properly (removing the covers, etc.), I need to remove the grill (once or twice a month).

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had no problems with mine behind the honeycomb grille on my Rebel for a year and a half. I now have the same set on my power wagon and they are up front so just a quick wipe will do.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AE68B5DE-5CE8-471D-B55A-E4857B6692CC.jpeg It happens to be an amazing location. The light is mounted to the sub frame in the grill which seems like it will provide good support. The only thing i’m not happy with is the light itself. I purchased some off brand as a test so that was to be expected.

Now that I know the light will work in this location i’m going to go bigger and better. The light is currently a 24 inch. I think I can get a 30 in there if I mount it right. I will most likely go with Rigid so im not dissapointed.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I thought about doing the same thing, glad to see it works. Instead I went with 5 7” square LED lights mounted to the top of my sport bar. Won’t give the up close light that a light bar does, so I may upgrade in the future. I have a vacant spot in my switch pod and a few vacant spots in my relay box so upgrading in the future is an option for me.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought about doing the same thing, glad to see it works. Instead I went with 5 7” square LED lights mounted to the top of my sport bar. Won’t give the up close light that a light bar does, so I may upgrade in the future. I have a vacant spot in my switch pod and a few vacant spots in my relay box so upgrading in the future is an option for me.

What relay box are you running? Now that I confirmed the location i’m going to masterpiece the wiring if you know what I mean.

You have the AEV swith pod?

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What relay box are you running? Now that I confirmed the location i’m going to masterpiece the wiring if you know what I mean.

You have the AEV swith pod?
Just ordered it today, I just grabbed the first one I saw on Amazon. I didn’t see any with a positive terminal post on it which I would have liked, but that just means an individual run to the battery for each accessory in the future if need be. Now I just need to find somewhere to mount it! And yeah, I got one of the first ones to hit the market. I’m in with a local AEV distributor. We’re mutual customers of each other, he gets all of his Jeeps from me.

LakeFisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4

What switch pod did you go with and where did you put it? I've been looking into those tonight. Thinking about using that blank below the headlight dial.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered it today, I just grabbed the first one I saw on Amazon. I didn’t see any with a positive terminal post on it which I would have liked, but that just means an individual run to the battery for each accessory in the future if need be. Now I just need to find somewhere to mount it! And yeah, I got one of the first ones to hit the market. I’m in with a local AEV distributor. We’re mutual customers of each other, he gets all of his Jeeps from me.
Agreed

I think a smart place for the relay box is to the right side if the battery or the left side of the fuse box if your on the drivers side looking in.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What switch pod did you go with and where did you put it? I've been looking into those tonight. Thinking about using that blank below the headlight dial.
Im considering buying an extra right side steering wheel control with the gear selector buttons and trying to use those. I like clean!

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I went with the AEV pod mounted above the radio.