Grind noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I don't see at all where the op indicated the power steering correlated

He didn't, but chevys with the cursed power steering pumps will do this right before they give out. Usually they don't give any indication in the steering wheel until they go out. It was worth a peek I thought.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
ok, so i pulled the starter off while the truck was running (risky i know) i wanted to eliminate the starter all together, it still made the noise, took dust cover off, all flex plate bolts where tight, put starter back on, dust shield is tight. I took my trans cooler lines off and started the truck to make sure i had no blockage and it shot out like a rocket.. thats about as far as ive got so far

At least you know removing the starter while it was running was stupid. The transfer case does not move at all when the trans is in park, i'd be skeptical about the noise coming from the transfer case. Is there play in the water pump pulley? I'd just start going through the spinning things that you can reach easily at this point.

OP
OP
19Ram150098

19Ram150098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of the pulleys spun freely and quietly, the power steering pump was a little stiffer than the others tho, but the noise was still there when i took the belt of and started it

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
all of the pulleys spun freely and quietly, the power steering pump was a little stiffer than the others tho, but the noise was still there when i took the belt of and started it

The PS pump will always be a little more stiff than the rest.

Good news, you can rule out all the accessory drive components. Bad news, trans or engine issue now. Largely you can rule out the transmission as it does this in park, unless you have a modified valve body which pumps fluid in park, the transmission is mostly stationary in park when revving the engine. Just the TQ converter rotating.

Next step is to either drain or suck out some engine oil to check it out, just pulling the dipstick isn't going to do a lot of good as you're not looking so much at the color but what might be floating in it. I'd just do an oil change after its warmed up, then take a magnet in a bag and run it around the bottom of the container with the old oil. That'll tell you pretty quick if its shaving metal off something.

OP
OP
19Ram150098

19Ram150098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, so do you think it could be the torque converter making the noise? I'll change the oil tomorrow and give an update on what i find.. I really appreciate the help!

OP
OP
19Ram150098

19Ram150098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i changed the oil and everything looked good, I bought an automotive stethoscope and everything sounds normal when the noise starts except the bell housing and the transmission lines themselves, they both are ridiculously loud, so im starting to lean towards the pump or convertor being the culprit..

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The converters are known to go out, but they usually dont do this. It might be the pump. Only way to tell now is to take it apart. Too bad you don't have the factory scantool to check pressures in the transmission when its doing this.

OP
OP
19Ram150098

19Ram150098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, does anyone else have any opinions, suggestions or any other ideas before a pull the trans out? any help would be greatly appreciated