Grinding brake sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moops

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was getting that grinding sounds like when you go too long on a set of pads and you have metal on metal. Changed the front and rear pads and rotors. Still getting that same sound. Four new rotors, eight new pads. Brakes seem to be working fine, but getting that intermittent grinding. I notice it especially when braking going downhill. Any ideas what it might be?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
How long have you done these brakes on your truck?

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would I only hear it during braking and only sometimes then?
When breaking you shift the weight of the truck to the front. That's also why a lot of times you'll here them while turning. ie, turning right puts a lot of pressure on the left bearings, etc, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
^^This^^ and it could also be your carrier bearings, take rear diff cover off and see if it has the infamous scratches on the inside of cover, if so then there's your issue.

Try letting your foot off the gas and listen before you hit brakes, if you hear a grinding noise then it's probably not brakes.

Check all the dust shields, anything that's around moving parts.

Last edited: