grinding noise with ABS, ECS and SERV 4WD warning lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 lifted 6'' with 37''s and yesterday I noticed a slight grinding noise that seemed to be coming from front driver side. today when driving home at about 15 mph I noticed it grinding with a clunking sound so bad I stopped and checked out my linkage and to see if something was broken. I decided to try and limp home and the sound goes away at above 40mph and before I got home the ABS, ECS and SERV 4WD warning lights came on... that can't be good. The grinding sound is still there at 5 - 20mph and it sounds expensive

Any ideas on where to start looking for a problem? I've had similar problem with my jeep with Axle seals. I can't see anything obvious when looking at linkage, wheels, brakes...etc. Also, I live on a very bumpy gravel road and that doesn't really help. Since I have the 37'' tires on 20'' rims I'm wondering if the added weight and stress and driving down a really bumpy gravel road has broken something.

ABS, SERV 4WD and ECS lights...warning on left is for the annoying tire pressure sensor that never worked
WP_002170_zpsf59a2b72.jpg

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just jacked the front up and noticed there is some play in the tire when I grab it...but the lugs are all tight. I'm guessing that is bad.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a bad wheel bearing. You'll need a new hub assembly.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How many miles are on the truck, I got 92k out of my 2004 before one of them went bad. I know u have big tires. But still.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Since he has a 6 inch i would say its from beating them out of the old spindle and installing them in new spindle for the lift caused the damage to it.

Posted by my Droid

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Didn't think of this. But that would make sense

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah man, that's dangerous. That pic of your truck looks mean, I love the color! But as far as play in the wheel, typical way to tell is; if the wheel moves up and down you've got bad ball bearings, side to side is tie rods, and if it moves in all directions it's the hub. Look into some stronger ones if you're running 37's anyway.

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for all the responses... any recommendations on hub assembly since I'm running 37s. do they make heavy duty ones for bigger tires?

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone know how difficult it is to replace the hub bearing and assembly? I got a quote from the dealership for the Part: hub bearing and assembly at $274...I wasn't sure on labor and I saw a few videos online showing the process and it seems fairly straight forward. Only thing I'm unsure about is the ABS, ECS and Serv 4WD light coming on. And hopefully my Axle is OK.

thanks for all the replies

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm committed now

So I decided to go ahead and replace the hub assembly after picking up the OEM part from Chrysler ($274)

Here's the noise after getting everything pulled apart... I made a video in case anyone wants to hear what it sounds like
Bad Hub Assembly In 2011 RAM Video by elcid98 | Photobucket

now I just need to remove axle so I can remove these last bolts
5HubAssemblyBolts_zps38c63bb6.jpg

looks like I just need to pry the axle from differential... this is not easy so I'm all ears if someone has a better way
4RemoveAxle_zps2d00a580.jpg

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Do not pry on it hit the inner cv with a dead blow hammer hitting it outwards if it dont move right away just hit it alittle harder they come off super easy

Posted by my Droid

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Your aslo going to need to let upper ball joint go so u can remove thw cv axle. Remove the larger nut on end of cv slide it back through the hub. U do not need to remove the inner cv from diff. Jusy finished replacing a hub not to long ago

Posted by my Droid

aperez0209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@elcid98 did replacing the front wheel hub fix your problem? I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd and my truck is doing the exact thing. Grinding noise at lower speed (up to 30mph) and then goes away at higher speeds. ABS and Serv 4wd lights come on as well.

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@elcid98 did replacing the front wheel hub fix your problem? I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd and my truck is doing the exact thing. Grinding noise at lower speed (up to 30mph) and then goes away at higher speeds. ABS and Serv 4wd lights come on as well.
Yes and coincidentally it’s happening again 10 years later

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes and coincidentally it’s happening again 10 years later
Wow what timing. I’m getting the exact problem now but I think it may be rear…. So today I go search the symptoms and find my old post. Apparently my memory may be failing like my wheel bearing too. If I remember correctly it was a giant pain in the butt plus I’m much older and everything hurts now from years of getting smashed in jiu jitsu. I may pay the labor for this one

aperez0209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow what timing. I’m getting the exact problem now but I think it may be rear…. So today I go search the symptoms and find my old post. Apparently my memory may be failing like my wheel bearing too. If I remember correctly it was a giant pain in the butt plus I’m much older and everything hurts now from years of getting smashed in jiu jitsu. I may pay the labor for this one

Crazy timing!
I've read on other forums that changing out he hub, plus changing out the rear speed sensors has fixed the issue, just wondering if you had to do the same. Also, you posted a video that had the grinding noise, but I was unable to get it to play. Do you mind sending ot to me?