Ground force coils cut for 3/5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I've read threads on threads over the 3/5 drop on the 4G now that I have my 2/4 drop I'm looking at dropping to a 3/5 which means I'll have to cut. I want to know if there is a certain trick to cutting them so I can get it on the first shot. With my chev I had it worked out a certain way that I would cut off 2 inches off the overall coil length and that would give me a 4 inch drop to the body, Basically I want to know if this will work or if there is a different better way to go about this. Any info is appreciated :)

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't cut the front, use OE 2wd spindles instead and you will get an extra 1" drop up front.

For the rear....well....the GF spring are progressive so cutting them is not advised, I am sure it could be done though. I would say you would have to cut a little at a time until you get to where you want them.

OP
OP
Ndziy

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't cut the front, use OE 2wd spindles instead and you will get an extra 1" drop up front.

For the rear....well....the GF spring are progressive so cutting them is not advised, I am sure it could be done though. I would say you would have to cut a little at a time until you get to where you want them.
Well the fronts are tangential and closer together, and when the truck is under load the top 4 coils are touching each so I'm assuming the spring rate won't change

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can cut the tightly wound coils on the top of the rear coils and it won't affect them but don't cut the fronts, they are pigtail wound and if you cut them they don't sit in the strut properly, trust me on that one. The 2wd front spindles are your best option if you only want to go down to 3" in the front but they can be hard to find, especially in Alberta. Another option is Krown 1" lowering springs and 2" drop spindles.

If you want to go a bit more the McGaughy's 2" spindles will work up front you just need to replace the inner CV joint; and as a shameless plug, I'm selling my Kore high angle CV joints right now and I'm located in Calgary, lol.

OP
OP
Ndziy

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can cut the tightly wound coils on the top of the rear coils and it won't affect them but don't cut the fronts, they are pigtail wound and if you cut them they don't sit in the strut properly, trust me on that one. The 2wd front spindles are your best option if you only want to go down to 3" in the front but they can be hard to find, especially in Alberta. Another option is Krown 1" lowering springs and 2" drop spindles.

If you want to go a bit more the McGaughy's 2" spindles will work up front you just need to replace the inner CV joint; and as a shameless plug, I'm selling my Kore high angle CV joints right now and I'm located in Calgary, lol.
I will have to check into it and keep in touch with you. And won't those spindals suck my tires in on the front?? I kinda want to keep that tire poke with my stock rims

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I will have to check into it and keep in touch with you. And won't those spindals suck my tires in on the front?? I kinda want to keep that tire poke with my stock rims

The 2wd spindles actually push the wheels out about 1/2" and the McG spindles push them out 1/2"-3/4". This is with the McG spindle kit and GF front springs.

Attachments

• IMG_4273_zps2b57b8da.jpg
    IMG_4273_zps2b57b8da.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ndziy

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2wd spindles actually push the wheels out about 1/2" and the McG spindles push them out 1/2"-3/4". This is with the McG spindle kit and GF front springs.
That looks really good is that with 275 55 20s? And I thought they pulled the tires inward by none the less it looks good
Are they still on the truck and how long were they on the truck for

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Those are 265/45R22s on 22x9 D'Vinci Ragnos. The CVs were on the truck for less than 30,000kms, I pulled them off because I'm going 2wd with the new 4L80e I'm installing.

OP
OP
Ndziy

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ok well that's good. Well I will forsure let you know where everything is at and you said you were in Calgary?

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Y The 2wd front spindles are your best option if you only want to go down to 3" in the front but they can be hard to find, especially in Alberta.

Wanted to bring this thread back form the dead.
I finally found a set of 2wd OEM Spindles. Curious if you guys can help me figure out which ball joints to use when i install these? Should i use the 2wd ball joints or the 4wd one?

If you have any pointers on installing a set of 2wd spindles on a 4x4 with a GF 2/3 kit it would be appreciated.

mad618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
mine bolted on and worked just fine, no issues

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those 2wd spindles are damn hard to find here in Canada... Lol. Go figure.

Haha

KORE doesn't even list those CV's on their site anymore.. Only a FOX strut/shock front rear coilover level kit ?? Discontinued..?

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took me 2 years to find a set. Saw them on a local Facebook buy/sell.

Car-Part.com has quite a few listed.. A few in the GTA area for around $95-120 per side. BrBlk are you running aftermarket CV's or just OE still? I rarely use my front drive, but I wouldn't want to live without it.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to go with OEM CVs on the advice of a local member. the guy i talked to figured that the OE 2wd spindles and 2" front GF springs shouldnt cause me to need the upgraded CVs. We'll see i guess.

I'm told they will bolt right in with no issues. I'll be doing new ball joints while I'm in there.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent. From what I've read it will cause your front end to come out 1/2" from the where the 4x4 spindle sits.. I don't think pulling the CV out half inch will matter. I'd think with full suspension droop you've got more than that hanging out... I was going to lathe a new groove into a set of Bilstiens but I think I may just go with the spindle route instead. I'm currently sitting at 35.5" from ground to fender all the way around on my truck with 2" GF coils up front and 4" Belltechs out back with 5psi in my Airlifts...

Take before and after measurements I'd be curious what you get out of it.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do.
Oddly enough I'm 35.5" front and 36" rear currently. I believe my helper bags are the cause of the extra 0.5" in the back. Cant seem to get them totally deflated.
From my research the OE 2wd spindles push the front wheels out 1/4". The McGnaughty's 2" spindles push the wheels out a 1/2" (i could be wrong)

My guess is on my truck the 2wd spindles will give me a "stock rake" look when done.

The goal is 34.5" front and to stay 35.5-36" in the rear.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Will do.
Oddly enough I'm 35.5" front and 36" rear currently. I believe my helper bags are the cause of the extra 0.5" in the back. Cant seem to get them totally deflated.
From my research the OE 2wd spindles push the front wheels out 1/4". The McGnaughty's 2" spindles push the wheels out a 1/2" (i could be wrong)

My guess is on my truck the 2wd spindles will give me a "stock rake" look when done.

Andrew the Mcgauphies push the wheels out 3/8" per side. I run a 6mm spacer on the back tires just to even things up slightly,but the 4X4's are at a disadvantage right from word go,the stock front track width is 3/4" wider then the rear track width. Anytime you want to venture out to Airdrie,you can look my Mcgauphy spindles over,do you don't remember how to get to my place,it's pretty easy.Did you buy Victors old 2wd drive spindles?
Rick

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do.

Read this on the other page..

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Andrew the Mcgauphies push the wheels out 3/8" per side. I run a 6mm spacer on the back tires just to even things up slightly,but the 4X4's are at a disadvantage right from word go,the stock front track width is 3/4" wider then the rear track width. Anytime you want to venture out to Airdrie,you can look my Mcgauphy spindles over,do you don't remember how to get to my place,it's pretty easy.Did you buy Victors old 2wd drive spindles?
Rick

Yes I did buy Victor’s spindles.
Don’t get out that way anymore. I might be able to swing something.
Maybe we need to hit a CTC Thursday meet....
I would like to see how far out they go.