Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys , i'm looking for a suggest for my leveling kit .
My 1st upgrade was terrible !!!
I placed the rough country kit in both the front and rear springs raising 2.5" and 1.75" and the result was aesthetically very good but the ride became terrible.

Now as a further upgrade I would like to replace all the shock absorbers with bilstein 5100 but without using their leveling because I don't want to preload the spring but I want to place spacers on the upright at most 2". I read the 3d at the beginning and I know that you would have to stack 2 different leveling kits but setting the bilsteins to stock mode and only using the 2" spacers above is that a terrible idea?
With this solution can I keep the ucas stock or will I have to change them?

The solution of using the 2.1" level of the bilsteins scares me as by preloading the spring I think I will have a guide very similar to the one I have today and it is really bad ... I feel vibrations everywhere even on the accelerator pedals and brakes and feel every slightest pothole in the road.

I know how you feel about space strutters but I'm very confused and I hope you will help me find the right setup for my truck

"Stacking Leveling Kits"

The answer is no! Again, this is one of those things where I don't care what your buddy told you or what you think… there's no if, ands or buts. You cannot stack a spacer on top of Bilsteins to get additional front end lift. Typically you do not want to lift your front end any higher than 2.8” without doing a control arm and front diff drop. You will be putting your entire front end out of spec, your control arms and CV shafts will be at ridiculous angles which will be wearing everything out very fast and I doubt any shop will be able to align your front end. If you want that much height you need to start looking into lift kits rather than leveling kits.
You're not preloading with the Bilstein's perse, you're moving the mounting location of the spring bucket up further in the shocks travel. So in essence you're limiting or losing vertical upwards travel, gaining downwards. That is until the spring binds. You're not gaining overall travel just where it occurs in the shocks travel if that makes sense.

Either way with a level over 1.8 I'd get new uppers for a level. Or just bite the bullet and install a lift that has new knuckles and be done with it.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello , why you "report"my post ? i'm looking for help to setup my ram because its my 1st experience with a truck .
Please send me pm if i wrong some rules ...

Thanks

D1DAVE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This is a great thread. Its given me the info I needed to move on with my little lift project. Thanks!

jrsmith66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spent months trying to decide on tire size. Didn’t want the stuffed look of a 35x12.50 and more risk of a rub. A lot of recommendations for 295/60r20 with stock rims but not a ton of pictures out there, so I figured I’d put mine here. Bilstein 5100s at 2.1 and 295/60r20 Hancook Dynapro X/Ts (~34x12 according to their spec sheet), no spacers. Exactly the look I was going for. No rubbing at all. Bottom of truck right behind front tire and front of rear is dead level, half inch lower on the front wheel wells which I expected when I measured.
IMG_2038.jpegIMG_2036.jpeg