Gurgling behind the dash DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok so a question has been asked about gurgling sounds fromt he dash. This normally means that there is air in the coolant system. But have no fear here is a simple DIY to help ya burp and top off the system.

Step 1: Pop the hood and check your overflow tank

Step 2: If the tank is low add some more coolant to it.

Step 3: With the truck cold open the Radiator cap and check the fluid level. If need be add half and half coolant to the radiator till full.

Step 4: After radiator is full and the truck still cold leave the radiator cap off and start the truck. Then let the engine warm up till the thermostat opens. Here the coolant level will rise a little then fall.

Step 5: As the coolant level falls add some coolant till full while the truck is running. This will help burp the system of air. Apply a small amount of throttle while burping. Fill to the lip them add throttle the level will go down. Let off the throttle and if the fluid doesn't riase add more. Do this till the throttle causes the fluid to rise and fall about the same amount.

Step 6: After a steady level of coolant is in the radiator put the cap back on the radiator. Now fill the coolant bottle to the warm full line. You should now have toasty heat and a cool engine.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

YoMoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tip. This last spring I topped off my radiator. I noticed this gurgling sound for a month or two after topping off the radiator. Thought it had to do with me squeezing the radiator hose after filling. Seems to have went away since then. I figured it had something to do with when I added antifreeze. Only heard it for a couple of blocks after starting the truck. Went away after that.