GVWR alterations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was looking for Michigan rules and stumbled upon this.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/gvwr-sticker-and-alterations-debate-133264.html

Ok, I hear the weight police sirens coming, but I will preface this with....it is based on statute....Ok, here it goes....

The 49 CFR 573 regulation for GVWR only applies to newly manufactured vehicles. It does not regulate vehicles already sold. However, it does allow modifiers or alterers to change the GVWR using a good faith judgement on the new GVWR based on equipment installed such as brakes, axles, tires, etc.

Again no offense meant at all but GVWR can be adjusted.

This following paragraphs are straight from the NHTSA site:

The term GVWR is defined in 49 CFR 571.3 as "the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle." The GVWR informs vehicle owners how heavily the vehicle may be safely loaded. It also affects the vehicle's loading and other test conditions for the performance tests to ascertain whether the vehicle complies with applicable safety standards.

The only express regulatory limitation on the GVWR that manufacturers may assign to their vehicles is set forth in 49 CFR 567.4(g)(3), which provides that the assigned GVWR "shall not be less than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight, rated cargo load, and 150 pounds times the vehicle's designated seating capacity." "Unloaded vehicle weight" is defined in 49 CFR 571.3 as "the weight of a vehicle with maximum capacity of all fluids necessary for operation of the vehicle, but without cargo, occupants, or accessories that are ordinarily removed from the vehicle when they are not in use." Although the term "rated cargo load" is not defined by regulation, generally it is the GVWR of the vehicle minus the combined weight of the occupied designated seating positions (150 pounds times the total number of designated seating positions) and the unloaded vehicle weight.

Alterers must also determine whether their modifications affect the manufacturer's stated GVWR, gross axle weight rating (GAWR), and vehicle type. If such a change has been made, the alterer must specify the new GVWR, GAWR, or vehicle type in a manner consistent with the capability of the vehicle to comply with applicable standards and operate at higher weight rating and/or as a different type of vehicle. NHTSA expects both manufacturers and alterers to assign GVWR and GAWRs that reflect the manufacturer's or alterer's good-faith evaluation of how the vehicle's braking, load bearing items (including tires), suspension, steering, and drive train components will react to the vehicle's weight, size, cargo-carrying capacity and intended use.

***Now with that said, the following is also from NHTSA's General Counsel's Office and is an excerpt of a letter requesting information in regards to a suspension alteration to increase capabilities, and there is good advice to seek counsel for liability for accidents, but here is what they say....

“...The term GVWR is defined in 49 CFR Part 571.3 as ‘the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.’ the GVWR informs vehicle owners how heavily the vehicle may safely be loaded. It also affects the vehicle’s loading and other tests conditions for the performance tests to ascertain whether the vehicle complies with applicable safety standards. NHTSA expects the GVWR to reflect a manufacturer’s good-faith evaluation of the vehicle’s size, weight, load carrying capacity, and intended use.”

“NHTSA’s regulations on GVWR only addresses the GVWR of new vehicles. This is because the agency’s safety standards apply only to new motor vehicles and new motor vehicle equipment. There is a provision, §108(a)(2)(A), in the Vehicle Safety Act that prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers and motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly rendering inoperative in whole or in part any device or element of design installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. These parties would be subject to this provision if they were to modify your vehicle’s suspension. However, the provision does not apply to individual owners modifying their own vehicles.”

“Because we do not regulate how individuals modify their own vehicles (and thus do not prohibit you from modifying your vehicle’s suspension), we are unable to advise you about the specific modifications that must be made to a vehicle for it to safely carry an additional 1,000 pounds. Among other things, however, you should carefully evaluate whether the vehicle’s axles, brakes, tires, and frame can adequately handle the additional load. We suggest you consult with the original vehicle manufacturer about this question. You may also wish to consult a local attorney concerning possible liability in the event your vehicle is involved in an accident.”

IMHO, I believe this answers all the questions on the sticker in the door. Is it good to follow?....sure, is it Law? I believe this shows its not binding according to NHTSA. Is there civil ramifications for accidents, etc? Im sure there are, but I don't believe they ever needed a reason to sue you before anyways...I just felt the need to show that a GVWR can in fact be altered and the sticker themselves aren't necessarily binding due to modifications done to your rig. (i.e. you have 6k lbs axles listed and you have swapped to 7k lbs axles, brakes, suspension, etc. as long as you do it yourself, if a shop does it, they can put an additional sticker on there stating the new limits)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has always been OK for the individual to modify the vehicle, as long as it is operated off road.

I see a lot of your own interpretation in the above post, and I see nothing specifying on or off road use, and there are lots of things you can legally do for an off road vehicle that you can't for one driven on the road....like exhaust modifications for 1 simple example.

I also know when I tried to do the very same thing, I was told it was legal, as long as you have certification paperwork proving the modifications added the extra capacity claimed. The issue was the cost of said certification. It was many times over the cost of just buying what I was trying to make outright. I was trying to see what it would take to get the weight limits for the 1/2 ton ramcharger in my avatar upgraded to 1 ton, as I had a complete 1 ton drivetrain, including a big block engine, ready to install if it could be done, and I already had another 79 ramcharger that DID have the 1 ton drivetrain already in it (D60 front, D70 rear, NP205 tcase, 727 trans, etc).

Doing so, would also require a new VIN reflecting the changes made and registering it as a custom vehicle.

I think you will also find your very last statement not to be true, as no shop is gonna make the mods for you and re-certify it with a new sticker. It also seems to be in contradiction to one of your previous paragraphs.

Now, the problem is, how most people who want extra GVWR try to go about it.

You can't take a truck with a 10k gvwr, and add some air bags, or new springs, and claim it can carry more GVWR now. You are still limited by the same axle/wheel/tire rating.

You can't put a stronger axle under it, and claim higher GVWR as you haven't upgraded the braking system or suspension to accommodate the extra weight (master cylinder/prop valve/springs/control arms).

You can't change the gearing and claim extra GVWR, as you haven't changed the braking or weight rating of the axle.

It is quite an involved process to upgrade and certify for a new higher GVWR.

It all boils down to you can do whatever you want.....on your vehicle or in life.......just be aware of the consequences and ramifications of your actions, as they are not all gonna be warm and fuzzy and pleasant.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I was looking for Michigan rules and stumbled upon this.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/gvwr-sticker-and-alterations-debate-133264.html

Ok, I hear the weight police sirens coming, but I will preface this with....it is based on statute....Ok, here it goes....

The 49 CFR 573 regulation for GVWR only applies to newly manufactured vehicles. It does not regulate vehicles already sold. However, it does allow modifiers or alterers to change the GVWR using a good faith judgement on the new GVWR based on equipment installed such as brakes, axles, tires, etc.

Again no offense meant at all but GVWR can be adjusted.

This following paragraphs are straight from the NHTSA site:

The term GVWR is defined in 49 CFR 571.3 as "the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle." The GVWR informs vehicle owners how heavily the vehicle may be safely loaded. It also affects the vehicle's loading and other test conditions for the performance tests to ascertain whether the vehicle complies with applicable safety standards.

The only express regulatory limitation on the GVWR that manufacturers may assign to their vehicles is set forth in 49 CFR 567.4(g)(3), which provides that the assigned GVWR "shall not be less than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight, rated cargo load, and 150 pounds times the vehicle's designated seating capacity." "Unloaded vehicle weight" is defined in 49 CFR 571.3 as "the weight of a vehicle with maximum capacity of all fluids necessary for operation of the vehicle, but without cargo, occupants, or accessories that are ordinarily removed from the vehicle when they are not in use." Although the term "rated cargo load" is not defined by regulation, generally it is the GVWR of the vehicle minus the combined weight of the occupied designated seating positions (150 pounds times the total number of designated seating positions) and the unloaded vehicle weight.

Alterers must also determine whether their modifications affect the manufacturer's stated GVWR, gross axle weight rating (GAWR), and vehicle type. If such a change has been made, the alterer must specify the new GVWR, GAWR, or vehicle type in a manner consistent with the capability of the vehicle to comply with applicable standards and operate at higher weight rating and/or as a different type of vehicle. NHTSA expects both manufacturers and alterers to assign GVWR and GAWRs that reflect the manufacturer's or alterer's good-faith evaluation of how the vehicle's braking, load bearing items (including tires), suspension, steering, and drive train components will react to the vehicle's weight, size, cargo-carrying capacity and intended use.

***Now with that said, the following is also from NHTSA's General Counsel's Office and is an excerpt of a letter requesting information in regards to a suspension alteration to increase capabilities, and there is good advice to seek counsel for liability for accidents, but here is what they say....

“...The term GVWR is defined in 49 CFR Part 571.3 as ‘the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.’ the GVWR informs vehicle owners how heavily the vehicle may safely be loaded. It also affects the vehicle’s loading and other tests conditions for the performance tests to ascertain whether the vehicle complies with applicable safety standards. NHTSA expects the GVWR to reflect a manufacturer’s good-faith evaluation of the vehicle’s size, weight, load carrying capacity, and intended use.”

“NHTSA’s regulations on GVWR only addresses the GVWR of new vehicles. This is because the agency’s safety standards apply only to new motor vehicles and new motor vehicle equipment. There is a provision, §108(a)(2)(A), in the Vehicle Safety Act that prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers and motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly rendering inoperative in whole or in part any device or element of design installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. These parties would be subject to this provision if they were to modify your vehicle’s suspension. However, the provision does not apply to individual owners modifying their own vehicles.”

“Because we do not regulate how individuals modify their own vehicles (and thus do not prohibit you from modifying your vehicle’s suspension), we are unable to advise you about the specific modifications that must be made to a vehicle for it to safely carry an additional 1,000 pounds. Among other things, however, you should carefully evaluate whether the vehicle’s axles, brakes, tires, and frame can adequately handle the additional load. We suggest you consult with the original vehicle manufacturer about this question. You may also wish to consult a local attorney concerning possible liability in the event your vehicle is involved in an accident.”

IMHO, I believe this answers all the questions on the sticker in the door. Is it good to follow?....sure, is it Law? I believe this shows its not binding according to NHTSA. Is there civil ramifications for accidents, etc? Im sure there are, but I don't believe they ever needed a reason to sue you before anyways...I just felt the need to show that a GVWR can in fact be altered and the sticker themselves aren't necessarily binding due to modifications done to your rig. (i.e. you have 6k lbs axles listed and you have swapped to 7k lbs axles, brakes, suspension, etc. as long as you do it yourself, if a shop does it, they can put an additional sticker on there stating the new limits)

OK, I think your barking up the wrong tree. I deal with the Code of the Federal Registry very frequently with regard to animal health issues and have been for the last 15 years. My most recent encounter was in person last Tuesday with the USDA office on Independence Avenue Washington D.C. The Code of the Federal Registry deals with all aspects of the laws governing our country.

CFR 49 Part 573 deals with "DEFECT AND NONCOMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITY AND REPORTS".

Interpretation of the CFR is complicated. Any changes to the CFR normally take 3 years on a good day and I have dealt with items that took 14 years!

Sorry you are just out of your league on this one.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can't take a truck with a 10k gvwr, and add some air bags, or new springs, and claim it can carry more GVWR now. You are still limited by the same axle/wheel/tire rating.

You can't put a stronger axle under it, and claim higher GVWR as you haven't upgraded the braking system or suspension to accommodate the extra weight (master cylinder/prop valve/springs/control arms).

You can't change the gearing and claim extra GVWR, as you haven't changed the braking or weight rating of the axle.

It is quite an involved process to upgrade and certify for a new higher GVWR.

It all boils down to you can do whatever you want.....on your vehicle or in life.......just be aware of the consequences and ramifications of your actions, as they are not all gonna be warm and fuzzy and pleasant.
Lets take a look at some of your points here. #1, lets compare a new Ram diesel 2500 to a Ram 3500 SRW. The Ram 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. It has the same engine, transmission, axles, wheels/tires (assuming 18" from factory), brakes, lugs, etc. The only physical difference between the 25 and 3500 is the frame and rear suspension. The frame is essentially the same, just with slightly different rear suspension mounts. The 2500's have coils, 3500's have leafs. The leaf suspension is rated to 7000 lbs, the coils are 6500. So the only difference is 500 lbs of suspension rating... yet the 2500's have 2000 lbs less GVWR. Why is that? It is simply because the federal gov't limits a class 2B truck to 10,000 lbs. In order to sell a truck that meets the class 2B rating, they simply reduce the ratings on paper. Nothing changed. You can easily add bags or change out the coils to gain that additional 500 lbs back.

Again... same brakes on the 25 and 3500 trucks. Same master cylinder, same brake lines, same calipers, same pads, same rotors. Look them up... identical. Regardless, when you buy a "stronger axle", they usually include brakes. Part of the rating of an axle is braking capability.

Changing the gearing just helps you move the load easier. Again, a diesel has the same ratio for 25 and 3500.

It requires NOTHING to "upgrade" your GVWR in a 2500, as it is downgraded simply on paper to meet a weight designation. Why would you need to "Certify" a GVWR? The GVWR only applies to the original seller of the vehicle. You can register your vehicle for any weight rating you want. I can register my Ram 2500 to 12,000 lbs if I want to pay the extra money in registration costs every year. As long as I am under my paid registration weight, under my combined tire ratings and under the federal bridge tire ratings then I am perfectly legal to drive down the road in excess of my 10,000 lbs sticker on the door. Nothing certified, no "involved process" followed.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With a 2500-3500 comparison, yes, that may be ion some model years....but no one ever wants to upgrade their 2500........

I'm not sure if the 2500 & 3500 do use the same studs, wheel bearing & hubs.......didn't even use the same axle on the 97 model I had....2500 had D70, 3500 had D80 rear axles.

It's always the 1500s people want to upgrade. I'm only relaying what I was shown/told when I tried.

You are not certifying a GVWR....you are certifying that the components of the vehicle can handle the extra weight.

And your "it takes nothing to upgrade a 2500 just register it for more weight" argument doesn't work in all states if you care about being legal.

Just like a boat, per the coast guard formula for determining HP, a new boat like mine can have a 200 hp motor on it. But since the manufacturer put a 175 limit on it, there is nothing you can do to put a 200 on it and still be legal....period. It was derated on paper simply to sell the more expensive boats, as one like mine with a 200 will run with or even outrun anything this particular manufacturer sold, at any price point (BTW, mine is a 25k boat, the next closest in speed is a 55k boat).

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Technically you could upgrade a 1500 to be as strong or stronger than a 3500, but it would be cost prohibitive to do so in most cases.

Any state that registers a vehicle by weight allows the registering owner to chose the weight they wish to register. While I am sure there is a state or two that don't follow that lead, I haven't found it yet. As long as the state in which you register your vehicle allows you to exceed GVWR, then every state except Idaho (I think there is another one, but I can't remember) allows you to drive that vehicle over GVWR.

My example is always my 2010 Tundra. It had a GVWR of 7200 lbs and a payload of about 1500 lbs. In Maryland you can register for 7000 lbs or 10,000 lbs. The cost difference was $20 or 30 every 2 years.

My Tundra already suffered from low payload, at 1500 lbs. If I registered for 7000 lbs I would have "lost" 200 lbs of payload. That wouldn't be enough for my trailer at the time, so I paid a little extra and registered to 10,000 lbs (thus technically GAINING 2800 lbs of payload). My Tundra had OEM load range E tires that were rated to over 12,000 lbs. I simply paid for a 10K lbs registration plate and was perfectly legal to drive my half ton truck weighed down to 10,000 lbs. If I was stupid enough to put that much weight on my truck and got stopped by the police there was NOTHING they could have done. I paid for that weight and had enough tires for it. No certifications required... just pay the extra money for registration fees.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Mine 1500 has a 12m tag and thats pretty standard for a truck here, my 2500 had the same 12m tag on it..

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I know how much of a hassle I had to go thru to get my 3500 & trailer registered properly, but let's just suffice it to say that the previous owner had been driving it while incorrectly and improperly registered. Had he been stopped, he would have been given a rather large ticket, no matter what he was carrying/towing, and it all had to do with the 'register it for whatever you want' thought process.

I had to fix it so I could drive it without worrying about getting stopped for anything, and it required weight tickets and documentation to do so.

They will gladly take your money to register it as you want, then when they stop you and the registration paperwork is wrong compared to the vehicle it is for, they will again gladly take your money.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Here if you have a truck you get a tag with 12m on it, no doing it wrong or getting a ticket later.