H4 kit with legal bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318 TBI
I'm buying an H4 kit off eBay because I really like the look of the headlight housings, but I understand H4 bulbs are not US street legal, so should I be fine just buying Sylvania Ultra 9003/HB2 bulbs and putting them in the H4 houses? Does a 9003/HB2 usually fit in an H4 socket, or is it the other way around and I'd have to buy 9003/HB2 sockets for the truck?

Also I'm getting the ones with the blue city lights... I'll be removing those, but does anyone know where I can get white ones to put in there? I'm trying to keep things street legal here.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you are getting light housing off ebay i wonder if the headlight housing would be legal. which kit are you ordering and are the housings DOT approved? i doubt anyone would hassle you about the bulbs as long as you are not blinding everyone on the road.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll be fine, just run the H4's.

Just please remember to aim the headlights after they are installed. You might be surprised how many people forget that step. ;)

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well if it is not SAE/DOT approved then technically it would not be legal to use the housings. the housing you linked to i think are for off road use only because they don't have as many lines in the glass to aim the light so they would put out a fair bit of light right in front of you but would make seeing down the road suck. before you go wasting money on light housing you should put your current headlights on relay. putting your headlights on relays is something you should do before upgrading your lights. otherwise the new lights will most likely still put out crappy light.