Handgun for protection in the woods & at home

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by TRCM, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TRCM

TRCM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Looking for a handgun to be used for defense against predators and personal defense @ home.

In the area I hunt, there are bears, coyotes, wild dogs, and at least 1 cougar. I know, not much different from anywhere else, but I am thinking I want to carry something while I am in the woods and not actively hunting, IE - no shotgun or rifle in my hand.

Any suggestions and reasoning ?

I have been looking at the Taurus Judge & the S&W Governor, but would like to hear others choices and why. Not stuck on any single one at this point.

My main concern at this point is the wild dogs, as they have already chased one of our guys from his stand.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Axe Man

Axe Man Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    We have conceal carry permits in Texas so I prefer the S&W M and P Shield. Easy to conceal and carry, but shoots like a full size gun. I carry while I hunt, but not sure many pistols are too good with said animals. If I'm not hunting and just out at the farm, I usually carry an AR-15 for that stuff. Plus it looks cool!

3. electricme

electricme Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    have the Govenor its great being able to use all the different shells but honestly it a bit bulky and doesnt make a great CC gun... IMO you cant go wrong with a 1911 they are powerful and accurate and thats what you want in a good CC handgun. I also have Springfield XD-9 and love it.

4. fcbubba

fcbubba Member

Ram Year:
    2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Both good guns. Personally I like Automatics because you get more shots and easy reload. Have you thought about .40 Cal??

5. Statcher1

Statcher1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    If your looking for something for bears. I would look into a 10mm with a hot loaded round. Other than than pretty much any well known 40 or 45 caliber handgun will do the trick. I am partial to the Springfield XD-M 45 compact and the Fn-Herstal FNX 40

6. RoadKing

RoadKing Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Sport Crew
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7
    You have to determine which cal you are more accurate with. 45 is my choice. Depending on how well you shoot you may be able to put more lead on target with a lower recoil weapon. 9mm. Wheel guns are reliable but semi-auto more fun too me, especially when its time to reload.

7. TRCM

TRCM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    OK, guys, let me clarify some ....I am not looking at this for CCW (don't have a permit at this time), just for an extra measure of protection, mainly against the wild dogs, coyotes & snakes. The bears aren't as much of a concern, but a round capable of handling them is not bad, and the cougar we have seen on the cameras, well, I'm not so sure I ain't had a run in with him already, just never saw him. All I can say is walking out of the woods one afternoon (still plenty of daylight) from a treestand with nothing in my hand but an arrow for removing spider webs, and suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. I saw nothing around, but vaguely remember something light brownish to gold/yellow in the brush as I looked around. Never saw anything for sure, but the feeling didn't go away until I was in my jeep. I had thought it was just a bobcat till we got proof of the rumored cougar on a game camera.

I haven't shot a handgun in over 20 yrs seriously, so I have no idea what I would shoot best.

My line of thought was with an alternating selection of shot & rounds, I should be able to dispatch or at least scare away anything I might encounter within 5-6 shots.

8. DanielSix26

DanielSix26 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    To be honest, a short light 12 gauge would fit your needs the best. I know that's not a handgun but a light shotgun with a strap isn't hard to manage.

As for pistols, I would advise renting or borrowing a Glock to try out. Glocks are very easy to use so of you are out of practice I would go with that. If you are uncomfortable with the lack of a safety then check out a Springfield XD.

If it were me I would want something in .45 with a large magazine. You will never be sorry you had too much ammo if you have to defend against wildlife.

9. Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Cummins
    I have a Judge, its a great gun but I wish I had a Governor instead
    If you shoot enough 45 ACP you'll easily pay the difference in the two

10. electricme

electricme Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    if you can't get it done in 6 rounds then you shouldnt be doing it. in that case everything you could need is in the Govenor. being that its able to shoot .410 shotgun shells 45 ACP and 45 colt gives you a lot of firepower choices. Its not the most accurate and the .410 with birdshot will only piss a large animal off. but in an up close and personal situation and you use .410 slugs your good to go.