Has anyone else had these problems on their 5.7L Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEVENSMITH2859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all! I have posted this information on a forum I belong to for RV'ing, and one of the members on that forum said I should post on here to get some feedback form some fellow ram owners. The post may seem fragmented, but its basically all of my updates.

I have been noticing a very LOUD ticking or tapping noise coming form my engine, at first I thought it was the hemi tick, but has been getting noticeably worse. The truck has 69,000 miles on it. Anyways, took it in for an oil change, asked the dealer to see if I was crazy, service manager said I wasn't and I may have a rocker or lifter problem, truck still has all of its power and gas mileage though. They asked me to bring it back tomorrow to have that looked at, but since I got the oil changed on Thursday, the Check engine light has come on and the ECO/MDS mode isn't working. Has anyone else had any problems similar to this? Truck is a certified used with the 100,000 mile power train warranty.

Update # 1

The verdict is in, Truck has a bad Cam Shaft....

Update # 2

The entire bill is covered under the 100k power train warranty.

They didn't give me much information about the whole thing over the phone other than the cam was bad and the parts were ordered and should be in tomorrow. I am sure I will get more details on the repair when I am able to pick it up, but, breaking in a cam should be fun.......

Update # 3

A little update. So the service manager called and said the cam was in pretty rough shape and that some of the lobes were "rounded" requiring the replacement of all of the lifters. Now here is the kicker, apparently my MDS fuel pressure sensor stopped working causing the MDS to stop working, and they cant fix the truck without that, but that isnt covered under the power train warranty. How is a sensor, that controls an actual engine function, not covered under the power train warranty? That and since the cam was in "such bad shape" could that have caused premature failure? Apparently the warranty fight is long from over.....

Update # 4 (Final Update so Far)

The service manager said he would be willing to give me the "employee" discount on the sensor. I am still incredibly incensed that a 4 YEAR OLD TRUCK with 69,000 miles and a bad cam, requires a new fuel pressure sensor to control the MDS, which is not working. He said one has nothing to do with the other, but I just think that I shouldn't have to even pay $230 bucks, am I out of line here?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Happens all the time, it is a weakness with Hemi's, try using a high moly oil, may help. Search Hemi Tick. BTW, What oil were you using?

You are getting a new Cam and all the dealer wants is 230 bucks? You know that is a $7k fix right? Most of the time I say fight the dealer, but I would just pay that and thank the man above I was under warranty.

OP
OP
S

STEVENSMITH2859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happens all the time, it is a weakness with Hemi's, try using a high moly oil, may help. Search Hemi Tick. BTW, What oil were you using?

You are getting a new Cam and all the dealer wants is 230 bucks? You know that is a $7k fix right? Most of the time I say fight the dealer, but I would just pay that and thank the man above I was under warranty.

In retrospect, I am INCREDIBLY grateful it is under warranty and maybe I am being a bit whiny about it. I guess I was more hung up on the motor needs this sensor to work properly, but its not covered under warranty.

As far as oil changes, I take the truck to the dealership and they put in the 5W-20 Synth blend that they said was manufacturer recommended. I did inquire about full synthetic, but they said, they will only put in what the manufacturer suggestion is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, read this. There are two oils, motul and redline that have ten times the moly then other oils and they are expensive. 20 guys on the board have had redline take away their tick, including me. It has around an 80% success rate. That lifter tick is the lifters not lifting and dropping properly, the cam lobes are right underneath the rollers on the bottom of the lifters. If you don't have a tick, there are many better oils to run then redline, but if you end up with a tick again, get that moly plating the surfaces that are banging together, try redline.

The rollers are supposed to have some give for this problem, but for whatever reason the hemi is worse then any other motor at not being able to absorb the problem a little better. Cam lobs get smoothed, there goes the grand kids college fund. good luck

This is my first and last hemi. Next time I an going old school, 350 crate in something pre smog.

Last edited: