Hauling a HD in a shortbed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Happ!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's up guys? So has anyone hauled a Harley in they're shortbed 1500? Tailgate clearance. Trying to see if I need to buy a ramp or invest in a trailor. Moving from Wonderful Colorful Colorado to 24/7 Sunny SoCal in a couple mths.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I had a motorcycle in the back of my truck and it went in at an angle and was strapped down at all corners of the bed. Didn't budge at all but the ramp was also a couple, 7' long boards.

Doing it one time, I would try it on the truck with some ramps and drive around to see how it feels.

A regular occurrence? I would get a trailer to make life easier on moving the bike on and off.

OP
OP
H

Happ!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah really it's a once in a blue moon type of thing. I just heard people saying it's too long or it'll bend the tailgate because the rear wheel holds majority of the bikes wait causing stress on the tailgate. Just want to see if anybody has encountered this. Thanks man.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
No problem, could not tell you exactly what the bike was as it was my girlfriends stepdad that needed this bike moved but it was a cruiser bike so good size. Probably 700 - 900 lbs, the back wheel never went on my tailgate (6.4' bed) since it was at an angle and my truck didn't see much sag to it either.

Like I said, best way is to just get it up there and test it out and see how comfortable you feel with it. If I had to drive long distance, I might have changed it a little but since I went about 3 miles, I didn't care that much.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
i did it once. bike was sitting on top of a 2x12 with 2x6's nailed vertically on the side hanging off the truck to keep the rear wheel from shifting over.