HD's to be made in the US again?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by theviking, Jan 8, 2017.

1. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I've heard the same regarding quality control in US vs Mexico but also heard the plant in Michigan is very outdated in some areas. So hopefully the new plant will help bring QC up to par.

That said, I agree they still have to fix the work ethic and sense of pride in the plants. Don't think the UAW is helping the situation here either. My father was a plant line manager at Ford and had some creative ways of addressing QC problems on the line. But don't know if those techniques would be well received today:)

2. Hootbro

Hootbro Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I would still seek out a Mexican built RAM if possible.

HS-LD likes this.
  3. moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    No issues (that I know of yet...) with my '16 2500 Megacab built in Mexico, but I do support bringing the jobs back to the US. Again, I'm all for bringing the work back, but since the Detroit factories might have up-fit issues, it could mean manufacturing jobs might be created elsewhere in the US, so that is a plus as well!

4. Danno

Danno Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    There goes the quailty

5. champ198

champ198 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    I'm not a hard core union guy but I did not see the UAW sticker on my 3500. It was made in Mexico. My Ford F150 had a UAW sticker. My Ford was a great truck and I took pride in knowing that US workers put it together. :waytogo:

6. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    I would rather have Juan build my truck then to have the money go to the UAW, who intern will use that money to get the left elected.

I am proud of stuff being built in the US, but not if the money is going to put people I don't agree with in power. Maybe if the UAW showed to be less bias and more partisan in their donations and lobbying then I would not mind. Until then, Hecho En Mexico.

rebelsoul33 and HS-LD like this.
  7. nukegm

nukegm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    bring back real jobs to the united states. this is good.
    obammy creates service jobs - bartenders, bus boys, and waitresses etc.
    trump creates real jobs with real middle class pay
    this is great news comrades! cheers

BossHogg and HS-LD like this.
  8. spoon059

spoon059 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
    If i remember correctly, these are plans that were announced in 2015, before Trump was elected. Good for him to give incentives for products to be made in the US, but I don't think he should really get the credit here.

9. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    While that may be true, FCA is just latest in a list of companies who have now changed course and announced plans to stay or build in the US since he became the president elect.

10. HS-LD

HS-LD Member

Ram Year:
    2017 2500 Tradesman
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Agreed. I'm on the other side of that equation... I'm 53 years old and looking for a job. I am really picky because anything I choose to get involved with I give 100% and then some. Worked for 6 weeks at the local Harley dealer in 2015 and went from zero to hero by selling more bikes than their 8 year veterans with no book and no pipeline. I made $10,000 in 6 weeks on $200 commissions with spiffs. Had to walk out the door when they hired a shady General manager who started walking my sold customers because he knew better. He lasted 3 months but I was already gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm a team player and want to do anything I can to be better as long as it's constructive, including the usual management bean counting wheel spinning, but I have a very low total bullshit tolerance. Luckily I don't "need" a job, though. :naughty: