Headlights flicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up my '05 Power Wagon this past weekend, and experienced my first issue with it, when driving to work this morning. The issue seemed to start when I would go over a bump. The headlights would flicker, or would stay off for at least a few seconds then come back on. At times, they would stay off for at least 10 seconds. It only affects the headlights. The dash lights stay on. I'm not sure about the parking lights. First thing I thought was a bad ground, or loose connection.

But, then it seemed they would go off randomly, not necessarily triggered by a bump. I noticed that the green LED for the fog lights, on the light switch, would come on, when the headlights would go off. And confirmed, in the reflection of the car in front of me, that the fog lights were actually coming on when the headlights would go off. Another symptom is, when the headlights go out, I can move the light switch to the middle position, that's supposed to be for parking lights only, and the headlights will come back on. I can then move the switch back to the normal headlight position, and they will stay on.

Has anyone seen or experienced this before? I'm thinking a headlight switch, but wanted confirmation before I spend the money. Maybe a loose connection on the back of the headlight switch? Also, has anyone had luck with non-OEM aftermarket switches, or should I stick with OEM Mopar brand?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I just picked up my '05 Power Wagon this past weekend, and experienced my first issue with it, when driving to work this morning. The issue seemed to start when I would go over a bump. The headlights would flicker, or would stay off for at least a few seconds then come back on. At times, they would stay off for at least 10 seconds. It only affects the headlights. The dash lights stay on. I'm not sure about the parking lights. First thing I thought was a bad ground, or loose connection.

But, then it seemed they would go off randomly, not necessarily triggered by a bump. I noticed that the green LED for the fog lights, on the light switch, would come on, when the headlights would go off. And confirmed, in the reflection of the car in front of me, that the fog lights were actually coming on when the headlights would go off. Another symptom is, when the headlights go out, I can move the light switch to the middle position, that's supposed to be for parking lights only, and the headlights will come back on. I can then move the switch back to the normal headlight position, and they will stay on.

Has anyone seen or experienced this before? I'm thinking a headlight switch, but wanted confirmation before I spend the money. Maybe a loose connection on the back of the headlight switch? Also, has anyone had luck with non-OEM aftermarket switches, or should I stick with OEM Mopar brand?

kinda sounds like the FCM is screwing up

OP
OP
N

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kinda sounds like the FCM is screwing up

Hmm. Well that would suck. Are there any write-ups on replacing the FCM? Can I do it? Can it just be swapped out for another one. Or, does it have to be programmed by a dealer?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
its involved, but im pretty sure it can just be swapped out, its the brain of your lights and everything so stuff turning on when its not supposed to and stuff definitely sounds like the FCM to me, but i would go check all grounds under the hood, really well first just in case

OP
OP
N

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found the below video. Looks like an easy swap. But a lot of money to throw at a new FCM, if that's not it. Think I might try the switch first. Then, the FCM if that doesn't do it. Maybe try to locate a used FCM. Although searching ebay, there are many different part numbers, so not sure if they're interchangeable.

How to change a FCM 2002-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 by Jarrod Mindy - Dailymotion

If anyone else out there has any first hand experience with an issue like this, please speak up. Thanks!

OP
OP
N

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured this out, in case anyone is wondering. Previous owner had installed an aftermarket remote start system. They had tapped into the headlight wiring, to make the headlights flash on/off when operating the keyfob that operates the remote start. This was causing the issue. It was either a loose connection, or the relay box they were using was faulty. I removed those wires that tapped into headlight wiring.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No good can come from actually tapping into the OEM wiring. This is exactly the reason I spent the extra money to by plugs and make pigtails every time I wanted to tap into a OEM circuit, why I solder and heat shrink every connection, and why I put every ancillary circuit on a relay. The more isolated from the truck's stock electrical system I can be, the better

Just say no to scotch locks!