Headlights not working

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by JoeyT, Sep 14, 2016.

1. JoeyT

JoeyT Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L v8
    I put new bulbs in, the brights work, but the regular lights don't. The turn signals turn on but don't flash. I'm relatively new to working on vehicles, so I'm at a loss. The guy at the parts store was useless.

It's a '96 ram 1500

2. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    For the turn signals, its probably just the flasher. Are the bulbs LED? That will cause this problem if the flasher hasn't been changed for a proper LED flasher. That is such a cheap part, i'd throw a new flasher at it just to try and avoid doing any real diagnostics work on it.

The headlights, are a bit more problematic. Do you have the sport model? What happens when you turn the headlight switch to the on position and hold the multifunction switch in the flash position?

3. Yeret

Yeret Senior Member

Under the hood, trying to find that ****ing bolt/n
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    I had the same problem for quite a while. Turns out the purple hot wire for the low beams had popped out of it's socket in the multi-function switch connector. Snapped it back in and problem solved.

It seems to be a fairly common problem if the steering wheel is tilted up/down a lot. When I fixed the problem, I set the steering wheel where I wanted it and then unscrewed the adjusting lever. Now anyone who borrows my truck either deals with the position that it's in or tough ****, LOL.

dudeman2009 likes this.