Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, Elvis has left the building it seems.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
czardog....Mark

I am not going to get into a ******* match about the post you put on this site, but I am a representative from the dealership and I have in my hand your bill that you paid. I also have the diag of your vehicle along with over 8 warranty claims that we have done for you. I suggest you advise the people on this forum what you REALLY paid and how the diag REALLY went down. Also, if you like, I can take a picture of your bill (without your personal information on it of course, only your last 4 of your vin) and a picture of the diag for the forum to see...We don't have an issue with public forum as long as the information is correct...

Everybody relax, I didn’t disappear, I just haven’t logged on here in a couple days.

I have no problem backing up my claims, clarifying them and even showing additional behaviour that will show that this dealership does not act in the best interests of it’s clients.

I would also like to clarify something, I have the greatest respect for privately run businesses and the challenges they face everyday. One such challenge is the inability for businesses to properly defend themselves against false negative claims posted online by disgruntled customers and/or employees. With that in mind, for me to post something negative online about a company is completely out of my nature. My modus operandi is to vote with my feet, if you don’t want my business I’ll take it elsewhere. But my experience with your dealership has been so terrible, I feel I would be doing society an injustice by not sharing my experience with your verkakte organization.

In the interest of brevity my original post was a snapshot of my experience with your establishment, let’s go through this but I assure this will be at your peril. Save yourself some time, I will provide all proof paperwork.

1. You’re one and only point is the issue over the price. In my post I said the costs were $300 when in reality they were $261.42, a mere difference of $38.58. Not a material amount, one might chalk that up to an embellishment to simplify a story. But the reality is I was working from memory of what you quoted me on the phone which was $109 for a diagnostic fee and “about $150” for a synthetic oil change. As am writing this response, I asked an associate here at work to call your service department and he confirmed verbatim what I just wrote here, $109 + $150 Plus tax comes out to just under $300. All of this is semantics, because the real issue is that I had to pay ANYTHING AT ALL for something that should have been FREE.

2. All of this could have been prevented if you had just done what you promised to do, which is NOT TO CLEAR CODE so that I could verify it. Imagine this from my perspective for a minute. I scanned the car myself with an Autel OBDII scanner, it shows a code of P0520 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit. Before I bring it into your shop for service I stop by at my mechanic’s for a coffee and when he scans my car with his professional grade scanner, he comes up with the same code. Magically, when I bring it in to your shop, you tell me its an Incorrect Engine Oil Type and don’t even mention the oil pressure code. Would any reasonable person be suspicious? Ya, your damn right they would be. So when I told you I scanned it and so did a professional mechanic and we found it to be code P0520, ONLY THEN did you acknowledge that that code was there too. And on a personal note, if you're Eric the person I spoke to, I could tell in your voice that I caught you off guard by disclosing that i had scanned the car myself and i could hear your little wheels begin to spin. Needless to say, you did agree to not clear the codes! Even when I took the the keys from you, in front of your manager Ed, you assured me the the codes were still there, just stored. I immediately drove home to scan the car and guess what? YOU CLEARED THE CODES! Then i drove to my mechanic and he confirmed it with his scanner. I was suspicious before, but now my wariness is justified. Why clear the codes????

Let’s get something straight, if I scanned the the codes just as we agreed, and I did see the Bad oil code, I’d eat my lumps and wouldn’t waste another minute of my time on this.

3. Obviously now we know I had every right to be suspicious. And that’s why I was adamant that i shouldn’t be charged for a diagnostic fee for a fully warrantied car. Before I left in front of both Eric, and Ed the manager, I was assured that if the Oil pressure sensor code came back I would be reimbursed a diagnostic fee. No questions asked. Take note of my handwriting on the first page of the Dewildt report, I wrote that down in the car to remind myself to get a credit if the light came back on. SO guess what happened….The code came back! Everybody please verify the paper work I’ve attached from Peel, it was the oil pressure code sensor that needed to be replaced as expected. And the MIL light has not come back since it was replaced by Peel on July 22, 2016. PROOF that it was a warranty issue all a long, why the hell was I charged for a diagnostic fee and oil change???

So when I call the Dewildt to get my diagnostic fee back, after finally getting in touch with Ed, he starts to yell at me! No Joke. Customer Service Excellence if i’ve ever seen it. He said I had no right to go to another dealership, and the diagnostic fee was only to be credited if they got the warranty work. He never mentioned it was conditional on my returning to them, just if the code came back.

And as for me going to Peel, your damn right I went to another dealership. After everything I mentioned above, I had justifiable reason not to trust them anymore. And in circumstances where two parties disagree, involving a third party to verify a claim is the first standard of practice.

So I’ll ask Dewildt another question. If you had returned the diagnostic fee as you promised, do you think I’d make this post? Obviously not. Learn to live up to your word or suffer the consequences.

And here’s another tip Ed the manager, don’t yell at costumers… EVER. Even if they are wrong. And Definitely don’t yell at customers, because your upset that your **** plan to fleece somebody for a needless oil change, a diagnostic fee in addition to getting warranty work didn’t pan out. Don't take my word for it, you have the worst google rating out of any Chrysler dealer in the Hamilton area. I can't just be an anomaly.

4. When Eric first called me with his “bad oil” diagnosis he asked me if I had recently gotten an oil change. I said no, I have about 5000 km on it but it’s synthetic. This is proven by an invoice I attached from my mechanic, observe odometer reading, this was the last oil change I performed on my truck. Now observe what he wrote on the second page of the Dewildt report. He’s trying to link the fact that a bad oil code is likely given the fact that I had “recently “changed my oil. Not true, as i told you on the phone the oil change had been changed approximately 5000 km ago. Also, he wrote this fits the narrative of a ticking noise which just came about, a complete lie, which i told him had been there since i got the car and is still present to this day. This is telling of two things, A) he is changing the report so that it is self serving to his narrative. B) In all likeliness, if there was a ‘bad oil’ code sensor, shouldn’t it trigger a little sooner than 5000 km into an oil change???

5. As if claiming that you’ve done 8 warranty claims is indicative of anything other than the fact that this an unreliable vehicle. And i’m looking at my records and all i show is 4 not 8. But that's a moot point anyway. As long as we’re talking about past warranty claims, I’d love to tell everybody about a previous experience with your dealership that almost motivated me to post about it back then but I gave you a pass:

At 22,244 kilometers my Ram was making and awful grinding / squealing noise and brought it in immediately to Dewildt. Dewildt tells me that my rear callipers seized the pads to the rotors because I didn’t LUBRICATE my brakes!!!! Ya that’s right, they actually told me that, check the last attachment. They told me that the my rear pads and rotors were fried and needed to be replaced, and they threw in the usual “we recommend you replace all four”. Over my dead body would I be replacing pads and rotors on a brand new car car with 22,224 km on it. For those of you in the states that’s just 13,822 miles, not exactly an appropriate time to replace pads and rotors wouldn’t you say? Naturally this got me nowhere with these guys because pads and rotors are only warrantied up to 20,000 km. But this wasn’t a pad/rotor problem, this was a caliber seizing problem. Called Chrysler Canada, I expressed my concerns and they said under conditions like this they would certainly approve the replacement of the pads and rotors but it was at the discretion of the dealer. When I went back to Dewildt, they said they couldn’t warranty it because they personally recommend a brake service at 20,000 km, and because i was 2224 kilometres past i was **** out of luck. So according to Dewildt, Everybody, please service your brakes every 20,000 km or expect catastrophic brake failure. Even though the official chrysler Maintenance Service manual makes no such claim.

This last story obviously was abbreviated because this post is getting long.There's more to it if i need to expand, but the point of this this story is very telling, it tells me that yes Dewildt was right according to the book, no pads and rotors after 20k. But they don’t fight for what’s best for their customer, they would rather replace pads and rotors at full pop rather than at warranty rates. Good for them. Bad for you.

Scan_53.jpg

Scan_54.jpg

Scan_55.jpg

Scan_56.jpg

Scan_57.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP, not necessarily siding with you just yet, but I retract my comments regarding your participation.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also MOPAR4LIFE 13, I'll give you a little business tip. If you ever see an unhappy customer, your reaction should be to reach out to him and see how you can correct the situation. It's a practice I adopt in my line of business and it has served me well. Word on the street is that DeWildt isn't doing so hot lately and I've heard that from several sources now. Perhaps it's time to revisit your current business practices?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hmmmmm........

Sounds like a certain chevy dealer, who, when I asked them to investigate squealing brakes on:
1) a certified used vehicle they certified (less than 20K on it)
2) one that they did a state inspection on just 6 days and less than 25 miles ago
3) the brakes had been doing this since I got the truck from them
They called me and said that I needed new rear brake shoes, as they were only down to 1/16" thick and worn out.

I asked how much for them to fix, they told me 600-780 bucks depending on what brakes I had. I said heck no.....didn't even argue over how they can NOT know what kind I had.

I bought some new shoes on the way home, and when I pulled the drums, imagine my surprise & anger to see the old shoes I just removed were the same thickness as the new ones when measured with a ruler, and with a caliper, they were worn .02".

Now, in the dealers defense, the pads WERE 1/16" thick.....AT the ends where they are manufactured with a taper to alleviate chatter.

When I complained to the manager about this obvious attempt to fleece me of my money, and that if the brakes were indeed that bad, how did it pass state inspection (which requires pulling the brake drum on side) he simply said, "He must have pulled the other tire off when they did the inspection".

This was/is the same dealership who claims the G80 locking rear differential that was in the rear axle was "not designed to work in reverse", and they refused to repair it when it stopped working in reverse, even thought it would click like it was trying to engage, and the traction control light would come on at the same time.

BTW, per the nationwide customer service people, it IS supposed to work in both forward and reverse gears.

These are but 2 of the issues I had with them & their service, but they are the easiest to relay via typing.

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like oil change was 100$ and alignment for 90$... What was the alignment for?... And I thought it was a 200$ oil change? Js...

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like oil change was 100$ and alignment for 90$... What was the alignment for?... And I thought it was a 200$ oil change? Js...

You're looking at the wrong attachment, that's the proof of my last oil change I received from my mechanic. Look at the "Dewildt" invoices

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Ok, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't own a new Ram, and I don't have any prospects on purchasing a new Ram because I don't ever foresee being able to afford a new Ram. What the hell is a "bad oil" code? How does that find its way on to the DeWildt invoice sheet. I don't go to dealers for service, so I have to go by service manuals and reading the posts on this forum, but I have never heard of such a code interpretation. I have never heard of a Ram recognizing an unapproved oil type, triggering a fault code, storing such a diagnostic, and a dealership reading and posting such a vague and nebulous interpretation as "bad oil". If we are taking sides, right now I'm leaning towards the OP.
Where is Ramcares on this?

Last edited:

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I mean if the oil pressure sensor code was showing up did they replace the sensor in the first place? Sorry post long as hell lmao.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dunno who to believe....but I wouldn't be surprised about a service manager doing that. Get a rookie mechanic and a service manager that doesn't know a ratchet from a dipstick and it's completely plausible.

When my gf takes her car in I let her go alone....then I walk in and talk to the service guy when she comes back. Usually to let him know I'm probably every bit as good as any of his techs, and let me and the tech discuss it with youThey try to rip good looking women off all the time.

I try not to be a ***** unless it's a warranted response.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I mean if the oil pressure sensor code was showing up did they replace the sensor in the first place? Sorry post long as hell lmao.

No they did not. Instead they charged me for a diagnostic fee and an oil change.

I had to go to a separate dealership to have them replace the sensor.

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they did not. Instead they charged me for a diagnostic fee and an oil change.

I had to go to a separate dealership to have them replace the sensor.

Well that's different. I never heard of a diagnostic fee on a truck under warranty...

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get free oil changes for life on the truck I have through my dealer. I figured most dealerships did that now a days

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow free oil changes? sounds amazing.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just noticed that dewildt torqued your wheel nuts to 120 ft-lbs. The service manual clearly states 130 ft-lbs. I have also heard alot of nasty **** about that dealer also

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk