Heater Core DIY!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I just got down calling the cheapest Auto Shop in my area, they want $65 an hour for labor for roughly 6 1/2 hours to install my new Heater Core. Giving me a grand total of $410.00. That is way to much for me to have something I already have install. I been checking Youtube on my year and make, model and not having any luck. My Dodge Manual do it yourself book is not really helping me.

So my question is does anyone know any links for a 99 dodge ram 1500 5.2 V8 and the tools I will need for this insane project. I never done something like this in my life so I am completely mechanical inclined and what better project then a 6 1/2 hour job. Although the weather out here is snowy and cold this heater core needs done A.S.A.P. as well with coolant. Tired of smelling Maple Syrup in my cab. I don't know if I will need a new Straight Heater Hose or a Molded Coolant Hose.

So DYI, Tools and anything I might need to do this project

Also if fixing my Heater core will that also fix the defroster since mine takes forever to work and windows fog like no other:banghead: Thanks Again

tradclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
$410 is a great deal if you ask me. Just watch the videos and go for it! If you don't wan to get back behind the dash again, it is sometimes a great idea to do the evaporator core as well. If you do the evap core, you will have to get the AC system discharged. Mine was already leaking due to a bad accumulator. Need the tool to remove AC lines. Any auto parts store has them.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Definitely 2nd that about doing the evaporator as well while you're back there. I did my heater core a while back on my 2000.. let me tell you I see why every shop chargers huge amounts for this job. One way I made it easier for myself was by using a damn sawzall to cut the lines from the engine bay side to make it easier to get out. But no matter what you do it's a real *****. I dont remember using any special tools (other than the pac man tools for AC lines if you do that) and I don't remember any special methods of doing it. But yeah just look up videos of how to do it. That's how I do most of my projects haha. Good luck !

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's likely "similar" to the Dakota's of that era...

2000 Dakota Heater Core Replacement Pics - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

Replace the heater core, with an OEM unit. I've done this install 3x on my Dakota; two aftermarket units were bad right off the bat. Sucks having to pull the dash AGAIN, waste $40 in refrigerant, and reinstall to be bad...AGAIN!

Also replace the evaporator. OEM again.

It's not hard, just take your time.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the heater core also provides heat for your defroster, so changing it will likely fix that too. There is a lot of stuff to take apart and put back together properly so your truck doesn't become a rattle box. Be forewarned. LOL