Heavy Clutch Smell???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys. Thanks to Matt at Moe's and Sean (hemifever) my truck is running awesome. I just install the TB from Matt yesterday and what a difference. My buddy has a bone stock Ram and being able to jump from one truck to the other to feel the difference is amazing. The problem is after running the truck hard for few minutes the smell of burnt clutch was very strong. I have never smelt it before from the truck. However, was wondering if this even was even a issue? if so, would something like the sonnex presure booster help? or if someone might know some other possible fixes. I don't run the truck that hard all the time but if it is going to be a issue I would like to deal with it as soon as possible. Thanks for any input. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this but that's why I love the forum.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why you're smelling clutch on an auto truck. It has to be something else getting hot.

Reactions: jlb

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There are still clutch plates in automatic transmissions...
If its when your getting on it my guess would be the lockup clutch is slipping

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Could also be your brakes. After running the truck hard, your brakes get hot and that could be what you are smelling. Also, did you get any oil or grease on the exhaust manifolds while working under the hood? That could be burning off on the manifolds also causing a similar smell.

brightwhitesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You would never smell a tranny clutch burning unless you put your nose around the fluid. Chances are, if you were driving it hard, you were braking hard, I can almost guarantee it's breaks. If you get the smell again you will be able to tell which wheel it's coming from by temperature difference.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could also be your brakes. After running the truck hard, your brakes get hot and that could be what you are smelling. Also, did you get any oil or grease on the exhaust manifolds while working under the hood? That could be burning off on the manifolds also causing a similar smell.

I agree with this, kind of like the smell of everything burning off when you get a brand new vehicle.

OP
OP
Y
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys. Definitely not any oil or grease on the exhaust. I just installed the new TB from Matt under the hood. It may have been brake we were running it hard then slowed down again to do a few launches and high end runs. This weekend I'll try to recreate the events and go sniffing around the truck a little better. I'm hoping that will be the issue there is only 21 000 km on the truck. Hopefully it is nothing to do with the tranny.

I will report back as soon as I can get a few runs in. The weather this time of year here is so off and on.

On a side note: Matt thanks again for the TB the truck generally runs so much better. Even just cruising through town it is so smooth and between the tune and the TB when you give it some fuel the response is amazing. Moe's and Hemifever are what these trucks need!