Hella wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so I installed Kevin's hella 500s with no issues yesterday and today I went and took them off and retired them and got some better mounting brackets. Well no I can't get them to work. I Hardee's wired them and they work no problem. I noticed I had blown a fuse so I replace all 3 and still nothing. So I hooked them up right to my kc switch that I know works and will nothing... I tripe checked all connections and wiring and I have done many lights before but never a hella set and this one has me puzzled. I don't know if the hella relay can't handle the load of the 55watt hids or what. They worked great Monday night when I went up to Huntsville and back on the back roads so I could try them... Idk what to do, I am about to go buy a kc harness bc I know those are really good. Ima try to hook them up to the kc harness tomorrow if I have time as see if they work. It's really frustrating as I drive in the dark on back roads for the majority of my driving and I really need these.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Does the relay "click" at all when you sent power to it?

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea.... Could determine if that was good or bad. I replaced it though

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The relay is supposed to click.

Thats really weird. You've checked all the right things. Bulbs aint blown are they? Using the same ground as before?

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea that what I thought same ground and hot wired it to the battery and they both work... I really am puzzled, I think ima take it all the way off and start over and maybe I just missed something but I'm sure I didnt

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thats prob your best bet...could have some how switch a wire.

Good luck...I know wiring can be a headache

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea Idk, this my 14 set and Ive never had issues. I even had made a custom relay with my LEDs behind the grille. I really doubt it has to do anything with the hids but idk, ehh well hopefully redoing it will fix it

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Sorry to hear this man. The Hella harness should me more than capable of handling the HID bulbs, heck I got the relay I'm using now to power 3 bulbs. That's good the bulbs aren't blown - that also means the ballasts are still good. It must be something in the wiring after the ballast then. I'd just redo all the connectors.

I say the Hella wiring should be capable of handling them...then again I just read your post again and you said you blew a fuse, that's exactly what mine did when I tried to hook up the 4th light. I don't know if there's maybe a "special" wiring kit made for HID bulbs...I'll do some research on that. I'm also wondering about using a larger fuse perhaps.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I Hardee's wired them and they work no problem.

:big_banana_Dance:

Sorry, had to. :D

Good luck on the issue!

I can say this.........on my 08 I had a set of offroad lights that I converted to HID, 4 of 'em. I had them running on 2 harnesses (both Hella) and didn't have any issues at all. I would almost think that with the amount of power the HIDs are pulling at start up........it just didn't like it!

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's no big deal, I'm sure this is on my part I just can't figure what. I think when I was organizing wires I may have knocked so throng loose and or/ not connected something back up right. I know it's capable because they worked the whole night before hand. Oh well, hopefully when I redo it everything magically works again.

Yea I think if you upgrade the fuse and switch you should be able to run all 4 but you know how this stuff is lol.

Haha thanks JJ, yea I'ma have switches everywhere when I get done, might just buy a panel for them all, got 3 now and 2 amp knobs and it's getting crowded and I plan on adding 3 more switches for lights. Oh I blame the spelling on my frustration lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok well umm this is the second time today I have felt like a ****... So yesterday when I was redoing the wiring to get it nice and painting wire looms and other, I decided to shorten the hot wire from the relay to the lights. Then I guess I got busy and painting and left it, this why I thought my wiring was fine and it was... I just was a dummy and didn't splice the two wires back together.needless to say when I went and double checked wiring, when I gave that wire a little tug and noticed it was loose,I wanted to shoot myself for making such a amateur mistake. But the lights work great now that I have completely blew up my brain trying to figure out the problem... But thanks guys for the help!!

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man, have you blown any fuses yet? If so I would upgrade fuses, the switch, and the relay and you should be fine... You might want to upgrade the wires too but they should be fine

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yeah I blew the one between the switch and battery. I know the relay can handle it though, had an electical expert buddy of mine check it. So did you not use any of hella stuff after all?

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I went on the safe side and upgraded the fuses a little and got a new relay thing, but yea I used all the stiff you gave me, how big of fuses are you using?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I don't remember what I had on there before, it was either 25A or 30A. When that one blew I replaced it with the green one that came with the hella kit...doesn't sound like the best idea now though.

OP
OP
GhostRam94

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah idk about all 4 but I'm sure it can be done just gonna take a lot of work