HELP! Charging system issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobeyh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i bought a '07 ram 2500 quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi in it. Last june the transfer case fell apart on the highway and pulled out the 02 sensor down stream o2 sensors. When this happened i had cel on for an o2 sensor and the mechanic in Las Vegas NM jut put in whatever he could find as he couldn't clear the code.

Got the truck back to Austin and mechanic said PCM was bad after many tests. I ordered a new one aftermarket from an outfit in FL. Tested all the sensors per the guidelines and installed the unit.
All was fine for a bit but the Heater core on the o2 was still there. As i was taking the truck to another mechanic that was better suited for the deeper diagnostic, it started to stall and flat out die even as I'm driving. never threw any codes or new lights it was odd.

New mechanic went through and found o2 sensors were wrong and replaced with the proper ones as well as new crank sensor. still had the issues with the truck dying. turns out its dying after start but as soon as voltage gets back up to 12.8v it flat dies.
Sent the new PCM back for a replacement as that was what i was told as the issue.

new one arrived and after install by the mechanic its still dying at 12.8v.

anyone have anything like this before? we could use a pointer.

Thanks for any info

TheTexasBandit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i bought a '07 ram 2500 quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi in it. Last june the transfer case fell apart on the highway and pulled out the 02 sensor down stream o2 sensors. When this happened i had cel on for an o2 sensor and the mechanic in Las Vegas NM jut put in whatever he could find as he couldn't clear the code.

Got the truck back to Austin and mechanic said PCM was bad after many tests. I ordered a new one aftermarket from an outfit in FL. Tested all the sensors per the guidelines and installed the unit.
All was fine for a bit but the Heater core on the o2 was still there. As i was taking the truck to another mechanic that was better suited for the deeper diagnostic, it started to stall and flat out die even as I'm driving. never threw any codes or new lights it was odd.

New mechanic went through and found o2 sensors were wrong and replaced with the proper ones as well as new crank sensor. still had the issues with the truck dying. turns out its dying after start but as soon as voltage gets back up to 12.8v it flat dies.
Sent the new PCM back for a replacement as that was what i was told as the issue.

new one arrived and after install by the mechanic its still dying at 12.8v.

anyone have anything like this before? we could use a pointer.

Thanks for any info
Did you check your battery and alternator to make sure they where good?

OP
OP
C

Cobeyh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes replaced both also found plug 4 on PCM wasn't seated all the way as well as some frayed wiring. Fixed all those issues and now whenever I really get on it will die as i pull up to a stop light and runs rough for awhile after. it'll shudder along sometimes it will stall out multiple times before it stays running.