HELP - I put washer fluid in the battery fill reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was moving to fast as usual. I put about 6 ounce (guessing)of washer fluid in the coolant fill reservoir before I realized what I was doing. First, did I do any harm? Second, I have run the truck, anything I need to do?

Thanks

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
uh... You opened the battery and put wiper fluid in it? That's a really hard thing to mess up. Though, won't matter much. Drain it and put distilled water in it. Otherwise, long as it is wet basically and won't burn shouldn't be the end of the world.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Really ? Lol

Sorry, not trying to be a **** but wow

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
omg, i ran out of wiper fluid for my battery guys!

jkjk

OP
OP
P

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not put washer fluid in the Battery. I put in the refill that is yellow for the radiator and on the opposite side of the yellow windshield refill (not sure why I thought that was a battery symbol).

Last edited:

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would be the coolant overflow tank, may want to empty that ASAP and refill with proper coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had you dumped out the reservoir right away and replaced the coolant/washer fluid mixture with coolant it would have been no big deal. Now that you've run it it's probably best to do a coolant flush since the system would have drawn some in from the reservoir.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Im just curious, what would happen if the washer fluid stayed in the coolant for a long period of time?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mixing chemicals with the new sophisticated coolants is a REALLY BAD IDEA.. just get it flushed.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably nothing will happen but a coolant flush is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I accidentally put windshield washer fluid in mine too, I did a coolant system flush about a month or two later. When I pulled my reservoir, the line was completely blocked with gunk that prevented any liquid flow. I washed it out and about .5 ounces of gunk came out and I had probably put a liter or two of washer fluid in. It's pretty easy to pull the reservoir. Take off your grill ( 4 bolts), two bolts for the reservoir, and unplug the line at the radiator cap.

But, to be fair, the blockage could have been caused by adding green 'regualr' antifreeze to my hoat about 8 months prior lol. I'd imagine the regular antifreeze was well circulated through the system and the blockage was from the wiper fluid.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone noticed how many people run out of turn signal fluid? That's all I can figure with so many not using signals anymore.

OMG...too funny, right up there with " my muffler bearing needs replaced"
And sorry pheasanthunter, your thread line said "washer fluid in battery reservoir" and I was like,RESERVOIR? How does that work? Do I have one I missed?
Since you ran it, coolant system flush!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with the others, you need to do a flush. No idea if the chemicals will interact and cause issues. Easy mistake to make..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It probably depends on what wiper fluid you used as to what damage was done, some have alcohol and those will likely mess up your stuff. Either way flush.

Now, there is only one flush cleaner that I know of for Coolant and I've used it everyday in every vehicle I have ever had after I stumbled onto it over a decade ago.

Coolants are absent detergents, which is a double edge sword right? When they start to populate the metal, there is nothing to stop the chemistry sometimes and you see what you get with dex clones, massive jello like material that chokes the system. But, if you use a detergent in theory you can leave the metal exposed to rust corrosion, thus is why they don't add detergents to coolant.

RMI-25 does exactly what they say it does, it gently removes any slime in the system and deposits it into the over flow were you can get the slime out. Sometimes you think it is a mistake to use it because you see the slime and think dang what dd I just do. But that slime was hanging on your radiator and it is better gone. But it takes work, the only way to get it out is to remove it, I just use a wet dry vac or if is is bad flush again.

Check out the paper out there on the web, rm1-25 I get mine off amazon.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
6 oz isn't that much, but the washer fluid doesn't have the lubricants, rust inhibitors, and other good stuff anti-freeze does. Dip a finger in each one and feel the difference. The alcohol in the washer fluid "could" lead to water pump seal failure, but I don't think the minimal amount you put in would cause an immediate issue. If you didn't drive it too far, you "may" be ok just draining the reservoir, but if it was my truck, I'm with the others on here, flush the system. At my age, I like my sleep.

qwikz74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did that on my truck too when I first got it. Washer fluid is basically water and alcohol and will evaporate when heated so I wouldn't worry about it, but I get it, its one of those things that will keep bugging you.

Fbnmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Son in-law accidentally topped of coolant with washer fluid, cost him a water pump