Help identifying carb part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ianmattdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 d100
Engine
I am trying to figure out what this canister part is that comes in contact with the throttle linkage. what is it called and what does it do. I turned it all the way clockwise on my truck and it raised the throttle a bit. Is this bad. i was trying to turn the carb a bit for our cold weather coming in Colorado.
dodge-carb-1.jpg

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It looks like you've got an aftermarket bolt on EFI but I don't know anything about adjusting them.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I believe it's an idle solenoid. It's controlled by ecu but there is some adjustment on the threaded mounting bracket.

OP
OP
I

ianmattdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 d100
Engine
I dont believe there is an ecu. and no fuel injection. Its carbed. This is an 1985 dodge d100 truck with a 318. This picture is actually one I got offline but its the same exact engine and mechanism. I am looking all over the internet to find what this part is and does. This is my sons truck and now that winter is here its running really rich and flooding out. Any other thoughts on this part?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Disregard my first post, Rustycowl's right it's an idle stop solenoid. It's function is to increase the idle speed when the AC is turned on.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I dont believe there is an ecu. and no fuel injection. Its carbed. This is an 1985 dodge d100 truck with a 318. This picture is actually one I got offline but its the same exact engine and mechanism. I am looking all over the internet to find what this part is and does. This is my sons truck and now that winter is here its running really rich and flooding out. Any other thoughts on this part?

I have an 86. It has a computer. It is kind of hidden behind the battery. It was what they called a feedback carb. I don't KNOW you have one, but they had "Lean Burn" computers as far back as 76.
Possibly, somebody converted it back to just electronic ignition, and eliminated the computer.

Last edited:

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like a choke control valve to me. IF it is hooked to the linkage that operates the choke butterfly, it's an electronic choke valve. If it is connected to a linkage that goes to the throttle, it IS a idle control for the AC or something.