Help! Metal on Metal sound...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhammy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I started it up Sunday and out of nowhere I have a very loud metal on metal sound. The sound is coming from the passenger side of the motor and is louder from underneath. The sound also follows RPMs and is there even when in Park or Netural.

I have not gotten any codes or check eng light from this. The eng also doesnt seem to run any different. No weird vibrations or bad idle.

I have pulled both valve covers looking for broken springs or bent push rods but I dont see anything out of place. The eng oil level is normal and I have done regular oil changes.

Truck has about 93k miles on it and up to this point has not had anything go wrong other than a busted power steering pump hose at about 60k miles. The truck is stock other than K&N air filter.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
1st off welcome to RF. Ok the motor is acting fine besides the sound? You checked the springs and keepers so that will rule those out. When you had the covers off did you spin the motor with a bar to make sure all the function is working correctly?

OP
OP
J

jhammy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes, everything moved as expected.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if its in the bottom end of the motor....?

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Pull oil pan and inspect rod bearing caps

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Take a long screw driver, put the metal end ont the valve cover and the handle to your ear and see if you can hear it there.

Secondly are you possitive its the engine and not the alt going out? Do the samething with the screwdriver but put it on the side of the alt and see if the sound is duller throught it or louder. My bet though its the alt bearings going out

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Wonder if the timing chain tensioner let go. I know mine were loose at 70k on the second cam swap and got replaced.