Help! My headlights need attention.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yark d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
I am a new member here and FYI this is my 1st time using any forum of any kind on the internet so please be kind and helpful. I have a 93 W250 with a magnum 360. My problem at this time is the headlights. I cannot adjust the headlight buckets high enough to see further than 30 feet in front of me. I put new adjusters in several times trying different brands hopin for better quality but no luck so far. when i tighten the adjusting screw to move the headlight up either the threads in the cheap plastic adjuster strip out or the plastic clips (on the sides of the adjuster that hold the adjuster in place) break off. I have tried to hook the spring differently to have less pressure against adjusters but never any success yet. This problem is the same on both headlights and has existed since i purchased the truck 3 years ago, but recently got worse. Any hope, ideas, or thoughts would be appreciated. also i would really like to stay away from any crude ideas if at all possible. I have another issue, the headlights cause a hot wire smell in the cab after being on highbeam for a few minutes. I have replaced both lights and pigtails to verify that was not the problem and no change. I am wanting to order a Headlight harness from LMC Truck but without being sure where the problem lies I am hesitant at this time. Any common problems with this out there or ideas?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
can you possibly take a picture of they clips you are using and how you got the buckets clipped in? personally i have never had an issue with the plastic clip other than them just getting old and fragile. usually once they have been replaced they are usually good for a long while. having your lights aimed properly makes a huge difference to how well your lights work.

as far as electrical goes i would recommend getting a relay harness whether you get it from LMC or make it yourself. they make a huge difference and i would recommend installing one on any vehicle without them. they make the lights noticeably brighter. if your good with electrical you could hot wire your headlights while the headlights are on to see how much of a difference a relay harness would make.

OP
OP
Y

Yark d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
can you possibly take a picture of they clips you are using and how you got the buckets clipped in? personally i have never had an issue with the plastic clip other than them just getting old and fragile. usually once they have been replaced they are usually good for a long while. having your lights aimed properly makes a huge difference to how well your lights work.

as far as electrical goes i would recommend getting a relay harness whether you get it from LMC or make it yourself. they make a huge difference and i would recommend installing one on any vehicle without them. they make the lights noticeably brighter. if your good with electrical you could hot wire your headlights while the headlights are on to see how much of a difference a relay harness would make.
Thank You Crazzywolfie. I am currently unable to post pics of the clips, maybe later. The NAPA P/N is 665-1073. I have also used the dorman clips 2. Maybe the P/N will help you look them up. As for the brightness, I am not concerned with that, mine seem plenty bright at this time if i could aim them down the road a little bit and if i could actually use the high beams. The highbeams are very helpful when your headlights point at the ground. When I got the truck it appeared to have the original clips in but both headlights pointed very low (not near as bad as they are now and one was lower than the other). I attempted to adjust and the clips broke bc they were old and brittle. Ever since I have never been able to adjust the headlights even as high as they were when I got the truck, the clips break or strip out before I get to that point. I have never had any serious issues with adjusting side to side with the same style clips, dont make any sense to me.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't remember which brand my parts store gave me but since i have 2 vehicles i bought a whole box which had 10. i have not had one break or strip yet. also have you compared how long the new headlight adjuster screws are compared to the original ones? for some reason i think i might have had to shorten them to prevent them from hitting the rad support when you have to adjust them

the relay harness also take the stress off the stock headlight wiring which is pretty weak especially with age. i would recommend one whether you think you need it or not.