Help needed, exhaust gasket question .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haven't been on the site for a few months but again must reach out for help. I have the 02 ram with 5.9l magnum. I have developed an exhaust leak at the flange area where my exhaust manifold meets my y pipe on the passengers side. Assuming there was a gasket located between the two sides of the flange i went ahead and ordered one. Had my daughter pick it up and when i got home i noticed it was for a three bolt flange and mine is a two bolt. After doing some looking on the web all i see listed for this gasket for my truck are three bolt flange gaskets. What gives??? I don't believe this is a universal gasket because it look diff. The one in my hand is dynomax flange gasket part no 31348 . Any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yes, and I can tell you why. Your truck did not come from the factory with any sort of gasket.

Your exhaust manifolds should have a cone shaped casting around the outlet holes that butts up to a female cone on the exhaust pipe. If you have a leak you might try a thin coating of exhaust sealer which comes in a tube.

Put a thin layer on each surface, allow it to tack up, and then screw it all back together.

BTW I did a little research online in rockautos catalog and show no two bolt gasket used in a Dodge back into the 1970s! I don't ever recall seeing one on a manifold so I have to believe that someone installed this?

OP
OP
G

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey okie, thanks for the input. not being the original owner i guess it is possible somebody replaced the exhaust manifold . Just crawled out from under the truck and now know the problem. One of the bolts holding the flange together is loose as hell . The damn thing is rusted together but i can move it up and down and its sloppy as hell. Prob hasn't been apart for awhile and is gonna suck trying to get the nut off and two new bolts in their place. Do you know if the flange is cast onto the pipes or is it split and replaceable ?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
It's cast into the pipes...and quite frankly it usually works better than donuts and other methods others use.Usually you can snap or cut the bolts, tighten up the new ones and you're good.

I use a self locking bronze/brass nut (auto parts store) that doesn't loosen with heat.

This usually works the first time. If not get some sealer as I suggested in the first post.