Help Please! Power Windows Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Ok, in the past I have had issues with my windows not working and I have been able to pull the plug on the master switch and clean it off and they start back up. Now ever since putting my new speakers in, the windows don't work...none of them. The door locks still work, the mirrors still work, but no windows.

What I have tried:

Checked the fuse in the engine compartment and even swapped another one into it
checked the red/yellow stripe wire at the master switch for power (all i have is a test light) and it lights
checked the various orange wires while moving the switches up and down and all light
Checked the connector to the driver side power window motor while moving the switch up and down and it lights

I was ready to get a new switch, but based on all of that I don't see how it can be the switch. The fuse looks fine. What else could it be and what would cause all of the windows not to work. They don't work from the master switch or the switches at the doors.

Please help me! :bawl:

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
One other thing...when I turn on the headlights the LEDs in the switches don't seem to light up either.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Progress! OK, I took the whole switch apart and found that there was a lot of....buildup for lack of a better word...black stuff on the connections on the switched. I cleaned those with some sand paper and it works now! But is it very sporadic. I'm thinking I can either keep trying to clean it more or just buy a new switch (easier but not cheap!!).

Any thoughts on how to best clean those connections? Some of them are hard as hell to get at.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I guess I will just keep talking to myself. :) I cleaned the contact points a little more with some alcohol. It got most of it off and the windows seems to work okay. Sometimes it takes pushing the button 2 or 3 time before it starts moving though. This may just be a bandaid until I can replace the switch.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yep, I'd suggest replacing the switches completely. Would be the easiest and quickest fix, besides desoldering and cleaning each individual bit. Even then it may be defective!

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
use some electro clean spray on the contacts will clean them also check the solder on the window lock button has the same problem with mine and it just needed resoldered hope this helps also if you want to replace the switches pm me

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
My switch actually doesn't have any solder at the window lock button, or any of the connectors from the plugs. The connectors just kind of touch the circuit board. I think they may have changed the design somewhere along the way. That was actually one of the first things I was looking for when I took the switch apart.

Where can one find electro clean spray? Is that something I may be able to get from Radio Shack or something?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Theres no solder anywhere? I know on my switches when I took em apart, there were like 8 solder buttons around the edges of the switch, and then for all of the actual switches the solder was on the bottom.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Well yeah, there is solder on the bottom. I checked that. But on the top of the circuit board where they used to have two solder points in front of the lock button, there are just holes in the board with silver around them and the connector just touches it and makes contact. I can show you a picture of what I mean from another forum.

Steve420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My switch connector seemed to work when I wiggled it. I visited this place for the connector http://regulatorrectifier.com and a tech said another customer recommended stuffing aluminium foil in down the little terminals in the connector. I didnt think it would work, but it did!!

Pestanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power window

OK I got a brand new master switch and still nothing works, got brand new fuse and still nothing works in have power coming on the black and brown wire and on the skinny black wire , MI missing something? What else can it be?