help running wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I am stuck. 2015 RCSB. Replacing all speakers, wires, amp and head unit. I cant seem to find a way through the driver door to the cab. The parking brake mechanism is blocking me. I started taking off some 13 mm bolts from it to see if I can wiggle a wire behind it but I'm having a hard time with the bolt at 12 o clock. There is a gear thingy there in my way. So before I go completely bananas here...

Anyone manage to run a fresh wire from an amp to a driver's door speaker? I would like to keep the wire along with the other wires passing through the door jamb. How is it done please?

Thanks in advance!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't run wires through a Ram yet, but have you taken off the factory boot on both the door and the body? It probably is Molex plug. I would venture to say there is a empty spot in the plug you can drill a hole through to run your wire.

Two excellent tricks we use to run wires.

1. (My personal favorite) Get a long thick zip tie, fold over one end to make a loop, electrical tape the sh*t out of it so it stays. Tie your wire around the end of the loop and run the zip tie where you want to go. This works well with larger openings. (from the outside of the body to inside the car)

2. Get a long thin antenna (metal coat hanger would work too), tape your wire on one side. Tape it so the end of the wire is covered. Get some regular soap and put it on the wires and antenna, run it where you need to go. This works better through tight spots. ( the grommet from the car to the door).

MY suggestion if you don't have the Alpine system would be to tag all your speaker wires at the head unit, and run 9 wire to your amp. Even if you did have the Alpine, I would run 9-wire from the output of the Alpine. There is really no reason to run new speaker wire and it will save you tons of time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-2...blue/8267984.p?id=1170290375001&skuId=8267984

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Thank you Adrian. Miraculously it is not a Molex. There is a boot with a cluster of wires running through with no break or plug. The problem I had was the huge parking brake mechanism covered the wires. I bought a 13 mm socket and was able to get the last nut off. Behind the brake plate is some leather looking cover. The wires were right behind that. Problem solved. Passenger side should be much easier.

I guess 13 mm socket is not too popular. I think it's the only one I didn't have in my 100 piece set.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Update: I think the passenger side was just as difficult, if not more as the drivers side. I could not see the wires coming into the cab. There was a slew of wires and connections and "leather" covering it. I used the clothes hanger taped to wires method and after about 45 minutes finally got it through. I had to go from cab to the door.

And I had two 13 mm sockets in my kit. I must have been thinking of an 11 mm. So now I have three 13's.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ah the joys of new doors lol. Glad you got it worked out man the doors are a pain in the ass for sure.

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a plate cap cover or what ever to the fight of the brake supply on fire wall. It has two large bolts holding it to the fire wall. Not sure what it was for but drill a hole through it size you need. Wire loom in 1/2 will squeeze together finishing off the job . I used to wire my front camera to my RAX JAILBREAK and to mypower supply in console. 2014 DODGE Ram CC

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I used that one to run my power wire through. Somewhat a pain to take the nuts off and put back on as I think they are some kind of locking nuts. Im sure if I would get the air compressor out it would be a lot faster. The trouble I was having was with the E-brake mechanism against the left kick panel. The short 13 mm socket was too short for the exposed amount of bolt and the long 13 mm was too long to fit between one part. It was a combo of wrench and ratchet. Not fun.

Ya I don't know what that spot was for either, the only thing I could think of would be a clutch pedal, but as far as I know you cant get a newer 1500 hemi with a stick.