HELP! Seriously need some help now!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Alright so a whole buttload of electrical things are going wrong inside the truck.

About 2 months ago I put in aux toggles for my emergency lights. When I went to ground out the switches to a common ground, there was a surge and sparks. Not sure why there were sparks as the other wire, despite being red, is a ground for my remote starter (confirmed by technicians that installed it).

Here's a list of things electrically wrong with the truck:

1) wipers have a mind of their own. Sometimes the go once or twice when they're off, sometimes they don't go on at all unless i turn the stalk all the way to "continuous" mode. Sometimes when they decide to work normally, they wont go on for some time and then run continuous for 3 or 4 cycles. This has been happening since i bought the truck 4 years ago.

2) Neither my factory remote or aftermarket remote with starter will unlock the doors unless the truck is running. Auto start works fine, so I know the remote isn't the problem.

3) All electronics shut off with key turned to off. Most things are supposed to turn off, but not everything such as things like the headlights and dome lights with the doors. In order to unlock a door, turn on a dome light, turn on headlights/high beams, use turn signals/hazards, ANYTHING electronic in the cab, the key has to be turned to and left on at minimum.

4)This morning on the way in to work, I would only have a right turn signal for some of the time. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. No pattern to it. Sometimes it'd work and then turn off before cancelling; turn signal stalk would be in the same place though. Not sure if it was just the indicator in the dash that wouldn't show while the outside signal would work, or if it's the whole shebang because by the time I got to work to check, the signal was not giving me issues (of course). Left turn signal was completely unaffected. Might have something wrong with the system they work on, but left was unaffected.

5) Just one little thing I noticed as well. The odometer/trip computer reverts back to the odometer reading every time I start the truck regardless of what it was left on prior to turning it off. Not sure what this means, but it leads me to believe there is some sort of system safe mode or reset every time it starts.

Gonna try to answer some questions before they're asked.
-Yes the truck runs and quite well I might add.
-All gauges and instruments work as expected. Radio sucks though but thats because it's broken.
-Battery always has a charge and has yet to be found dead or even weak.
-No, it's not from the remote start system. I took the truck to the place that installed it and they reset the entire system and made sure everything was both up to date and working in all capacities. Everything checked out. The guys are good there and I trust their word.

One of the gents that did the remote system said it could be the Body Control Module (BCM). Never heard of a BCM but it makes sense a modern vehicle would have one. The tech admitted to being a Ford guy and not knowing Dodge to well as to specifics. Anyone have any other input as to what it could be or if this has happened to many others?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like your truck has no ignition off power at all. I think there is a fuse called "IOD" which stands for ignition off draw. Check that

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It sounds like your truck has no ignition off power at all. I think there is a fuse called "IOD" which stands for ignition off draw. Check that

Ill check it out when I get back to my truck in a bit. Thanks

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

No such luck. Took out the IOD fuse and not only was it good, it looked new. I think the guys changed that out. Wither way, i swapped with another one thinking it could be a bad fuse somewhere else, nothing. All problems still persist. Thought that was it though

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone else have a clue?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah i had all the same electronic problems and more, took fuse box off under hood and it was green and red all over it from corrosion so replaced tipcm (fuse box) and not one issue any more. This has been a major problem for rams for ever but still no recall on them. Wtf. Good luck bud.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
After having those issues I changed out my fuse box and all problems went with it but now a few days later all those ******* are back so I'm so confused it's not even funny, and to boot my truck won't even start now. I don't know what to do now. Guess it's stealership time. :(

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After having those issues I changed out my fuse box and all problems went with it but now a few days later all those ******* are back so I'm so confused it's not even funny, and to boot my truck won't even start now. I don't know what to do now. Guess it's stealership time. :(

Have you pulled the gauge cluster out recently? I had done a lot of work on the cluster with changing the color to blue and wiring up a whole set of lights in the center as well. Turned out to be a loose plug on the back of the cluster. Plugged it in all the way and everything works like a charm

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No haven't touched the dash yet, been trying to avoid that, I'm not the best when it comes to wiring.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No haven't touched the dash yet, been trying to avoid that, I'm not the best when it comes to wiring.

There was actually no wiring involved on my end. Just making sure it was plugged in. I swapped the halogen bulbs for blue leds

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check the fuse box ground and battery cables. Corrosion can hide between the parts and create issues. Voltage might read correct, but amperage is the killer if its corroded it can still show full voltage but when there is demand it doesnt get the power and brownouts occur.

Mikebean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you already replaced your tipm totally integrated power module and it still persists then I don't know what the problems could be with the electrical but with a no start problem it could be your ignition coils once one messes up if you've replaced them they all have to be Mopar and they cost about $750 to replace them all that's what mine cost it anyway that's labor and all

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Figres it out a month ago and didnt update because im a **** lol. It was a loose plug in the back of the cluster that wasnt making full contact and was sending a whole bunch of mixed signals. Figured it out when the cluster went dead

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you already replaced your tipm totally integrated power module and it still persists then I don't know what the problems could be with the electrical but with a no start problem it could be your ignition coils once one messes up if you've replaced them they all have to be Mopar and they cost about $750 to replace them all that's what mine cost it anyway that's labor and all

I fixed it, sorry for the late post, it was another bad tipcm, got a third one at no extra cost to me, and haven't had any issues since, in fact things work now that didn't before lol.
She runs steady at 650r's all day.

Last edited: