HELP!! Temp gauge reading HOT!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gingerbreadman11241

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
1997 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L
I just got finished doing head gaskets, water pump, timing chain and sprockets, heater core, new coolant lines all around, oil pump, and top end gaskets. everything is running good and I've been adding coolant to get it all in there but its still reading hot. I also replaced the temp sending unit and temp sensor on the intake manifold next to the thermostat. It's reading right below red.... I was thinking maybe advance auto gave me the wrong sending unit and its meant for a different temp range. But I'm worried its actually running hot. How do i check this? please help me. I'm in college and the national guard and need my truck working. Thank You

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure that your thermostat is not installed upside down. You most likely have a **** ton of air in your lines having the coolant system exposed that much. Elevate the front passenger side of the truck to make sure the radiator is higher than the heater core and burp the system. It may take awhile but just keep doing it until the bubbles quit, then continue watching just to make sure.