Help with decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member. Thanks for the add.
I am looking to upgrade current travel trailer to 5th wheel.
5th wheel comes in at 12,100 unloaded and 42’ long
I have 6.4 3500 4.10 gear ratio and it says I can tow 15.5k
Figure 1000 pounds of crap loaded in trailer brings total to let’s over estimate and call it 13.5k
Thoughts on towing or should I go with other camper I am looking at coming in at 10.5 unloaded and 36’ long
Anybody else towing 5th wheel this large?
Just concerned about the jump. Current travel trailer with stuff in it is probably 9k at the most
Thanks for the feedback

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Are you pulling in hill country, or mostly flat lands?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The tow ratings are a bit misleading. You need to know what your GVWR is, what your truck weighs with everything in it (people, fuel, hitch, anything in the bed or cab, pin weight of the trailer & the trailer's loaded weight), then compare the total weight of all that to the GVWR.

Don't just go by the tow rating and comparing that to the loaded trailer weight. You'll be missing a lot of the real weight calculation.

OP
OP
J

JackR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once I get out of northeast pa and head towards Maryland and Virginia it is flat
Northeast pa down to Allentown has mountains

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I think your truck could handle that rig, but it'd be maxed out. Honestly, at 42` and north of 10k lbs I think your in diesel truck territory, maybe even drw territory. I think your asking a lot of the 6.4 at those weights. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
J

JackR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GVWR on side of door states 11400
Also on another sticker it says should not carry more than 4365 in passengers and cargo

So tongue weight of 5th wheel hitch is 2059 plus 4 adults totalling 720 plus fuel and other stuff including hitch so let’s say another 500 which takes me up to 3279lbs

Trailer Life towing guides state I can tow 15.5k

So based on those numbers if I go with the bigger trailer I would be ok?

Forgot to mention truck is single wheel, 4 door crew cab and 8 foot bed

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
She would be slow on the grades & drink fuel hard. Would not be a rig you would want to full time in. Just My thoughts. Check with an RV forum also.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
She would be slow on the grades & drink fuel hard. Would not be a rig you would want to full time in. Just My thoughts. Check with an RV forum also.

Agree with Vern and as stated in my original post. I dont believe you will be happy with the towing performance but you could try it and see but ensure you have funds for a truck upgrade in case you're unhappy with how it handles that monster. Good luck

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Greatly appreciate the feedback. I plan on going with the smaller unit to ensure towing will not be a problem.

Good deal, I think that's a wise choice. Even the smaller rig is significantly heavier than your current one so it'll give you a good idea of where your at. Some dealers will allow you to take a test tow also so If you have concerns still you may ask them to allow you to do that. Good luck and happy camping! We got back from a camping trip last week and had a good time. I love camping and fortunately so do my wife and kids.

dreamscometrusy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l v6 diesel
Upgrading your travel trailer to a 5th wheel sounds exciting! Towing can be a tricky decision, right? When I'm unsure, I rely on a trusty coin flip generator to help me out. It's like my go-to decision-maker, you know? Now, onto your situation. Considering the specs and weight, it seems like your truck can handle towing the 5th wheel. The extra length and weight might take some getting used to, but plenty of folks tow 5th wheels of similar size. However, if you're concerned about the jump, the other camper at 10.5k unloaded might be a more comfortable choice. Ultimately, trust your gut and go with what feels right for you. It's all about finding that perfect balance between adventure and peace of mind.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I'm currently searching for similar information. So, it would be great to hear how your story ended up with upgrading your travel trailer.
If you complete your profile and add the year/type truck you have it would help A LOT. Mainly, towing heavy with the 6spd tranny sucks but it much more manageable with the newer 8spd. I believe the changeover was around 2018/19. Also, lots of variation depending on terrain. Mountains+heavy+6spd=less than great.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
On our first camping trip with our current camper and my '17 wagon, I met someone with a '17 non-Wagon 2500 pulling a roughly 40 ft brand-new Open Range fifth wheel. He had 4.10's, a 6.4/6spd combo, CCLB setup. He claimed he had no problems with it and had been travelling all summer. He admitted that it took him longer to get up to speed, but that overall he had no issues with how the truck handled it.

In other words, a 6.4 powered truck WILL handle the weight and length of that camper. Just remember that you aren't going to be winning any races with it, and that you need to spin that motor up into higher RPMs to take advantage of the power curve.

A diesel would do it BETTER, but you should be fine with a 6.4.