Help with rust-proofing my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usafparker18612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some tips on rust proofing the undercarriage of my 2003 1500. I already have the truck bed taken off and I've stripped a lot of the frame down to bare metal (I used a wire wheel/abrasion wheel. I don't have a sand blaster at my disposal.) But there are still a few spots, like inside the frame and tubing, that has some minor surface rust.

I plan on hitting the truck frame with some tar and wax remover and then some acetone to break up any dirt/grim/left over rust and then hit it with a couple coatings of rusty metal primer. After the primer has dried, I'm gonna hit it with Rustoleum undercoating from a spray can.

This is honestly the best I can do right now with the amount of time and resources I have (Average day, I get about 3 hours of daylight to work on it and I have to work on it outside :(

If anybody has anymore tips they could chip in to help out with the finished product that would be much appreciated.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
For the work you have into it I would try to use por15 instead of the undercoating
My next choice would be herculiner, for the the places you can't get the rust try to spray with an etching primer that will stop the rust from spreading once painted over and only use the spray can undercoating/Bedliner for places you can't get with a brush/roller

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
they sell it at the auto paint store that my painter works at.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've seen it at car quest before, I would try calling around your area

OP
OP
Usafparker18612

Usafparker18612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll look for it. But would I be able to use the undercoating I have now and eventually apply the POR15 over the undercoat without any more prep work (besides washing off any dirt) Or would that get too heavy? And could that POR15 be used on the leaf springs?