hemi questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I was looking in my garage at the 6.1 hemi and 5.7 vvt hemi I've got on stands and now I've got a couple hemi questions that may seem dumb. #1 can the NGC4 run hemi vvt? Can a Diablo change software type in the pcm like put 6.1 software in a 5.7 pcm. I've been told they can. I was wondering what swapping either engine into my 06 mega would take

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What year is the 6.1 Hemi? That should be close to a direct swap other then getting the accessories lined up. You could possibly put the truck timing cover and accessories on the 6.1 block. But then you would need some brackets and adapters to work the 6.1 i take to fit. The 5.7 vvt engine would be much harder to swap, you’ll have to pull the crank and change out the reluctor wheel to the 03-08 one. The tooth count is different so it messes the computer up. Again you would have all the accessories that are different that need to be dealt with. And a diablo tuner would work, you would be best to get a custom tune done

I Bleed Ram Trucks

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of the 2 the 6.1 will be easier to do. To get the vvt to work on older applications will be another task in itself. An 06-10 was 6.1 production Chris.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
6.1 never had VVT; it will however drop into your megacab with minimal fuss depending on what manifolds you use. The accessory drive will bolt it, if you have the 6.1 heads they're diferent port size/shape and valve wise than the 06 5.7 heads. Your PCM will run it no problem. Your PCM will not run that VVT engine unless you lock the phaser (get rid of the VVT) and pop the crank to change the tone wheel. You will have the same problem with the heads as the 6.1. Your accessory drive will be a mess as well. Most straightforward bolt in swap is to use the 6.1 short block but bolt on the early 5.7 heads (maybe P&P them with big valve upgrade). This will negate any harness (for the the TB) and manifold (intake and exhaust) port mismatch. It'll just act like a bigger 5.7 (6.1 has bigger bore but same stroke).

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Actually I would just leave the 6.1 heads on. If you go the easy route and use the old truck intake, it should bolt right on. The port mismatch won’t be a big deal, you’ll have the smaller manifold port over the bigger intake runner. Lots of people do that with ported heads anyways and there won’t be much side effect. Of course you would probably gain some more power using the 6.1 manifold but whether or not it’s worth the trouble on the conversion. With the exhaust ports I would try to use the 6.1 factory manifolds. They are basically like a shorty header anyways and would probably fit the truck with some minor fab work to meet up to the factory exhaust downpipe. Or try a 5.7 eagle exhaust manifold 85ea3d8a30a81e91157980c4bca418fe.jpg
73c9d98f62f842914e64ffcce5ee8ac6.jpg
But as with any swap, you’ll run into small issues like this and need to be prepared for some experimenting and fab work. If it was really easy everyone would be doing it, that’s why they are somewhat rare swaps.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The eagle truck exhaust manifold will work, the LX shorty doesn't fit inside a Ram chassis. Possible alternative is GC SRT manifolds. They're longer versions, like mid length; they fit perfectly in 4th gens, I just don't think anyone has tried it in a 3rd gen chassis.

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Sucks the 6.1 manifolds won't work. I've got everything from throttle body to header. I'd hate to restrict the 6.1 with truck manifolds and I'll be keeping the 6.1 cover setup and make accessory drives work. I've seen it done. I prefer the 6.1 intake and it looks sweeter. Disappointing about the vvt. The 6.1 I was saving for a classic B body to put it in so I was hopeful on the vvt engine. I know they went away from ngc4 about the same time the vvt launched. Guess it wasn't coincidental. The 09 up hemi MCs run way better than mine. I figured it was the vvt

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sucks the 6.1 manifolds won't work. I've got everything from throttle body to header. I'd hate to restrict the 6.1 with truck manifolds and I'll be keeping the 6.1 cover setup and make accessory drives work. I've seen it done. I prefer the 6.1 intake and it looks sweeter. Disappointing about the vvt. The 6.1 I was saving for a classic B body to put it in so I was hopeful on the vvt engine. I know they went away from ngc4 about the same time the vvt launched. Guess it wasn't coincidental. The 09 up hemi MCs run way better than mine. I figured it was the vvt

With decent enough headers the port mismatch will probably be negligible, or you could get 6.4 truck manifolds. Same shape/size ports. You are going to have a lot of fun (and spend some money lol) routing hoses and wires around making the 6.1 front cover work. Cheaper to machine your stock 5.7 front cover (or get the set and use adapter pieces to move the compressor and alternator out of the way. Then the 6.1 intake will just sit on there, you haven't screwed with your accessories much and all you need to do is convert to an electric fan (HAVE to, there is no way around this) and lengthen the TB wire. Scroll down on this page: http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/motors.html
Inertia has them, I believe Muscle Motors does as well. You can route intake however you choose, but this is similar to what you would get:

images.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A member here did this. He made his own custom brackets ac739d3e7022dd87ab2b897d7e3b86f4.jpg

Here’s my timing cover I grinder down to fit an eagle truck intake. I still need spacers though. I’d go with a 6.1 manifold if they weren’t so damn exspensive 6a527e7e5f39b5ccfa01599567d06c24.jpg
d99027ac652945cc48b376382c720550.jpg
6b7ddaf2be5f1190269fbee363893f98.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks