Hi, potential new 2nd gen owner here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Art

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
howdy folks, I'm looking at a 2nd gen (I think it's a 95 or so) extended cab ram that I could get for $1000
according to the seller the only problem is the headlight switch went bad to the point of heating up the harness, I hope the harness isn't cooked, need to clarify that with him
It seems to run OK, I need to take a closer look at it, and a test drive. hoping no ABS
it's rough looking, as in the paint is bad, but looks straight enough, and the engine (318) sounds healthy enough
I'm no tyro at asessing vehicles, but unfamiliar with Rams, any things I should be looking for in particular?
any special problem the early 2nd gens are prone to?

OP
OP
A

Art

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
wow, 15 views no replys

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure the transmission shifts firmly, no slipping. If it is consuming oil but not leaking oil, chances are the intake plenum gasket is bad.

Reactions: Art

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Mostly the transmission, plenum, rear end, transfer case-transmission seal if 4x4, and any front end weirdness.

Reactions: Art
OP
OP
A

Art

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Make sure the transmission shifts firmly, no slipping. If it is consuming oil but not leaking oil, chances are the intake plenum gasket is bad.

oh man, I just did the intake manifold gasket on my Lumina, what a ******* job that was
how do I know if this needs to be done?
How bad a job is it on a Ram?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Here is a link for info on the whole plenum thing. http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

Its not that bad of a job to do say 4-6hrs. Just consider it leaking and that it has to be dealt with. When checking the tranny fluid make sure its in N being in park will provide a false reading. I suggest you ask the owner if you can perform a comp test as well. Also see if you can do a mech oil psi test. If 4wd jack up the front end and check the unit bearings.

OP
OP
A

Art

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Thanks for that info
I haven't test driven it yet, but it'll bark the tires, so if the plenum is leaking, it hasn't been for long I'd guess definitely doesn't look like as much of a job as the intake manifold gasket in the Lumina (labor guide time on that job is 10 hours)
I'm gonna have a look at it tomorrow I think, the Lumina has cali emissions including an external add on AIR system that's in the way of nearly every basic maintenance job, and whil I like it's driving dynamics, I hate working on it
A shame, 96-99 Lummies didn't have the AIR system and weren't bad to work on for a front drive V6 car

OP
OP
A

Art

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
well went and test drove it today, and I'm not so sure I want the truck
it's worth what he's asking I think, I just didn't really fall in love with it
I never was much of a full size truck guy, maybe that's why
not saying I won't get it, but I'm not real excited by the prospect
plus the loan he has is against the truck, not sure I trust that situation, though he is willing to go to the loan company and write the check to them while I'm there

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Don't buy something you don't want. Granted, you could buy it and end up loving the hell out of the thing so it could go both ways.