HID help installing (Retro Solutions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcrackia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first post and honestly love this forum compared to others I've been on.

Earlier this week I decided to buy HID lights from retro solutions. My pickle is that I have those spyder projector lights (I didn't know about jj's mods before I purchased, might sell them and go for his :drool:).

So the spyder projectors have H1 bulbs for both the high and low. I sent Retro-Solutions Store an email stating my situation and he said I needed to purchase the following items.

35W DIGITAL HID KITS - Retro-Solutions Store

HID relay wiring harness - Retro-Solutions Store

Resistor Link 50W 6 ohm - Retro-Solutions Store

They arrived today and I jumped into the install. Universal harness, into the (+) battery and to the oem plug (with load resistor), and then onto the ballasts. Plugged the lights in and flipped the switch and got nothing.

Did some reading that possibly my ground contacts sucked so I sanded the metal down around self tapping screws and tried again (no luck).

I've got to being doing something stupid... =)

Assuming I get this problem fixed, any clue how my high beams hook up?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the spyder lights to the high beams should just plug into your stock wires at least mine did.

Why do you need the resistor just curious as long as you have the relay you should be fine.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
JJ should see this eventually to help ya. Not sure why but the 3rd gens need resistors and us 4th gens need the capacitors, I don't know how to hook up the 3rd gen HIDs

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The plugs in the ballasts might be able to go both ways. I know on my 04 when I plugged the harness into the ballast one worked and the other didnt, after 2 hrs of messing with it I filpped the plug the other way and it worked. Not sure if your ballast is the same though.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
spiffy

So, here's the scoop. On an OEM setup, the quad equipped 4th gens need the cap. Dual equipped uses the resistor pack. The Spyder lights emulate a quad. So........you will probably need to swap that resistor pack for a cap pack.

NOW, they should come on regardless. So, yeah - check grounds, check polarity on the ballasts, check that it is getting power. Check fuse, etc.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I extended my ground to meet the factory grounds inside the fenders. One of the hardest things on electrical components is a crappy ground that effectively turns the body into a resistor!

I'd bust out the good ol MultiMeter and see what's going on where.

OP
OP
X

xcrackia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I started to review everything that I ordered and what I received. Looks like I got capacitors instead of the resistors I originally ordered (reviewing my invoice). I'm assuming I still want resistors to avoid any TIPM issues (is this correct?).

It also looks like I might have the wrong relay harness? When I look at their faq site with the diagrams it shows the bixenon harness with a small wire for the high beam lights on the end. The ones I received didn't have those. I made a quick wiring diagram showing my setup.

wiring_small.jpg

Also thanks for info the grounding. I'm going to extend the ground wires to the inside of the fenders. I checked the fuse last night and was thinking about getting the multimeter out but it was getting late.

I called and sent the guys at retro solutions my issues so I'm waiting to hear back.

Brian =)

OP
OP
X

xcrackia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guys are retro-solutions are awesome. Unlike every youtube video and HID DYI post I've seen before this purchase where everyone plugs into the stock plug. I'm actually taking the terminal connections from the low beam H1 bulb and plugging them into the HID bulb harness.

Attached is an updated wiring diagram (can't wait to receive the resistors so I can hook everything up). :licklips:

wiring_small2.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I just reread what I put too........lol, man, I thought this was a 4th gen. LOL

derrrrrrr.

And yah - Todd kicks ass!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel