Hill descent control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I wonder if I needed a steeper grade, I only tried it on a gradual grade. I was in 4 low, but no locker engaged. I've re-read the manual I downloaded:
Activating HDC
Once HDC is enabled it will activate automatically if
driven down a grade of sufficient magnitude. The set speed
for HDC is selectable by the driver, and can be adjusted by
using the gear shift +/-. The following summarizes the

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have not tried my HDC yet but now that there is more talk on this subject I think I will try it out tonight when I get home.
I was trying to think of other combinations to try that perhaps would activate the speed selector function.
I did notice that if I put the transmission in neutral, the speed automatically changes to 1.2mph as the manual states, put it back in drive and all I have is 0.6mph so perhaps there is a certain criteria that needs to be met before the speed selector activates. When I get a chance I will try:
Steeper Grade, time/timer (let a minute pass while in HDC), set the gear first while in 4 low then activate HDC.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I did notice that if I put the transmission in neutral, the speed automatically changes to 1.2mph as the manual states, put it back in drive and all I have is 0.6mph so perhaps there is a certain criteria that needs to be met before the speed selector activates.
I experienced this as well.

Steeper Grade
I tried on a very steep grade. HDC kicked in and operated as normal, but nothing would allow me to change the speed.

time/timer (let a minute pass while in HDC), set the gear first while in 4 low then activate HDC.
I did not try either of these two possible solutions, although if this "fixed" the issue, it would still seem as though it is not operating as designed.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@ramcares, any insight? this appears to be a much larger problem than just my truck if we can't even find a single truck where this feature is operating correctly.

can ANYONE chime in and say definitively that their HDC is operating as designed?

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I experienced this as well.

I tried on a very steep grade. HDC kicked in and operated as normal, but nothing would allow me to change the speed.

I did not try either of these two possible solutions, although if this "fixed" the issue, it would still seem as though it is not operating as designed.
Another thought, maybe mileage dependent like it was for my Hellcat? Certain functions not available to you reach say 1500 miles? How many miles do you have?
I have 800 on mine - only had for a week :D and took on a trip to WV. Great mileage for a big truck hauling a load in the bed as well, thoroughly impressed with this truck.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
i have just over 3k miles on mine, but i haven't tried it in a few weeks. i'll give it another shot with more miles on it, but i don't think that's it since the system itself is working.

RamFarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not tried my HDC yet but now that there is more talk on this subject I think I will try it out tonight when I get home.

As per this post... mine seems to be working perfectly. I have a video that I will post if I can but I had no problems shifting into 4wd low and then turning the HDC on on the flatter part and it grabbed like it should and I was able to go up to 3km/h. Hope everyone figures there out quickly...

Note: the hill steepness didn’t seem to affect it. One hill was quite steep and the other much more mild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As per this post... mine seems to be working perfectly. I have a video that I will post if I can but I had no problems shifting into 4wd low and then turning the HDC on on the flatter part and it grabbed like it should and I was able to go up to 3km/h. Hope everyone figures there out quickly...

Note: the hill steepness didn’t seem to affect it. One hill was quite steep and the other much more mild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yours is a 17? Hmm...first confirmed correct operation and it’s a 17. Mine, the one on my lot, and 18ADR’s (per his profile) are all 18’s. Maybe there is a connection with model year?

If you want I can pm you my email address and I’ll upload your video to YouTube.

RamFarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yours is a 17? Hmm...first confirmed correct operation and it’s a 17. Mine, the one on my lot, and 18ADR’s (per his profile) are all 18’s. Maybe there is a connection with model year?

If you want I can pm you my email address and I’ll upload your video to YouTube.

I would be happy to send you the video if you would like. Shoot me a pm

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I wish I had that feature on my truck

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Correct, mine is a 2018. Was delivered to dealer last Monday so I've only had it for a week now.

67shawnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Sorry I didn't get back to you but I can't get mine to work. I live in Ohio where there are no hills. I have 3000 miles on my truck so maybe i am doing something wrong.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
you don't need to get the HDC itself to work, only see if you are able to change the pre-determined max speed once you have engaged the system. actually using the HDC does not seem to matter.

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
IRS, I wonder if this is something you could ask your service manager to request info. from Ram Techs/Engineering? Perhaps the '18's computers need a flash?
Or we are missing something.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
IRS, I wonder if this is something you could ask your service manager to request info. from Ram Techs/Engineering? Perhaps the '18's computers need a flash?
Or we are missing something.
You know, it's really funny you mention that...because i just walked out of his office! fun fact, NONE of the 2018's are working properly from what we can find. he showed me how to search for service bulletins, and we came across this. it seems they're aware of the problem and released a bulletin just a few days ago. looks like us 2018 owners need to sit and wait.

Attachments

• 000000003b9be57d.pdf
    148.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here is the video that @RamFarmer sent me showing the proper operation of the HDC feature. for the record, mine works exactly like his does UNTIL he changes the speed from setting 1 to setting 2.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh, and googling “Power Wagon hill descent control not working” doesn’t do you any good because it refers you to this thread lol

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You know, it's really funny you mention that...because i just walked out of his office! fun fact, NONE of the 2018's are working properly from what we can find. he showed me how to search for service bulletins, and we came across this. it seems they're aware of the problem and released a bulletin just a few days ago. looks like us 2018 owners need to sit and wait.
Thanks for attaching the bulletin. I just stopped at my local dealers service department this morning as well, they weren't able to pull up the bulletin but I was able to download to my phone your attachment. Will wait now for the fix. I also had an issue with my Rear Locker light flashing for no apparent reason, which now has stopped. Computer showed Rear Differential Position Sensor Circuit Performance. Hopefully the light stays off now and the sensor now works properly as the fix seems to be opening up the rear differential to replace the sensor :(

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh, and googling “Power Wagon hill descent control not working” doesn’t do you any good because it refers you to this thread lol
That's exactly how I found this thread over the weekend, AND became a member of this forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye