Hill descent control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's quite nice to know from that bulletin that the HDC also works in reverse at a set 0.6 mph. Now I know that I can always engage the HDC to assist in backing down a steep icy or snow covered shelf road when it becomes impassable at the higher elevations (12,000 feet plus).

Thank you.

Last edited:

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I keep forgetting try this. I'm personally more inclined to just use my foot to control the speed. I kind of old school. ;)

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got mine to work this weekend. It was just a push of the +\- button to change speed. When will the fix be available for your wagon IR?

Peter

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I got mine to work this weekend. It was just a push of the +\- button to change speed. When will the fix be available for your wagon IR?

Peter
No clue, I keep checking the Star case and it’s remained unchanged.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I keep forgetting try this. I'm personally more inclined to just use my foot to control the speed. I kind of old school. ;)

I checked my last weekend. Doesn't work. I asked the service manager about it when I brought my PW in for the recall Monday. He look at me like I was speaking a Greek. I said never mind, I'll just keep checking here.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There is a guy on the Facebook group that identified the problem as a TCM issue. Alledgedly FCA is working on a fix and it will likely be a recall or TSB for our trucks. Not sure if it’ll be a reflash or a replacement of the TCM. I have yet to hear of a 2018 that works properly. FCA needs to get their **** in gear because of an owner became salty enough about it, they could get FCA to buy it back under lemon law since the feature isn’t working properly and they can’t fix it.

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There is a guy on the Facebook group that identified the problem as a TCM issue. Alledgedly FCA is working on a fix and it will likely be a recall or TSB for our trucks. Not sure if it’ll be a reflash or a replacement of the TCM. I have yet to hear of a 2018 that works properly. FCA needs to get their **** in gear because of an owner became salty enough about it, they could get FCA to buy it back under lemon law since the feature isn’t working properly and they can’t fix it.
thanks for the update.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Literally just tried mine this am, and speed control not working either. Local dealers here aren’t much help. Any updates on fix?

I don’t have any hills here, but again, it’s nice to have all the features working as they should!

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I check Chrysler’s system every few days. No updates yet. A member on a Facebook group I’m on says his 2018 is working properly, but I don’t entirely believe him since his would be the very first documented 2018 that can adjust the speed.

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just as an fyi while we wait for a fix. I do use a steep mountain logging road that is very muddy. What I'm doing at the moment is running it up the mountain in 4wheel low and use the rear locker. For going down I am just using 4 wheel low and use the (-) button to fix the transmission in 1st. it will keep the truck at a max of 5mph without using the brake, I can then use the brake to control the speed. I find that I can only use HDC at the 0.5mph setting and it is too slow with the truck constantly on the brakes. BTW, if you don't fix it in 1st, the truck will shift to 2nd and basically run away down the hill at a higher speed.

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I noticed the same thing with mine. 2018 PW tried it a couple of times, like you guys said 0.6mph no matter what or how many times i tried changing the gears.

Vrodfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 that won’t shift in hill decent as well. Any work on a fix?

Fliehigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know it is not exactly on the OP's topic put I also wanted to point out the Hill decent will also allow you climb hills. I found out in my 2017 coming down a hill into a ditch and the truck continued on up and out the other side.

So it works in reverse and going up hills as well.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ok fellas, I’m told that there is a fix now. The cruise control recall, U61, also apparently has a fix embedded in for the HDC issue that all 2018 models are experiencing. I just rolled my truck into the service lane for a tire rotation and the recall so I will test it as soon as I get it back.

18ADR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ok fellas, I’m told that there is a fix now. The cruise control recall, U61, also apparently has a fix embedded in for the HDC issue that all 2018 models are experiencing. I just rolled my truck into the service lane for a tire rotation and the recall so I will test it as soon as I get it back.
Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Confirmed, recall U61 contains a fix for HDC. Run, don’t walk, to your nearest Ram dealer and have it fixed immediately for maximum pleasure.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Confirmed, recall U61 contains a fix for HDC. Run, don’t walk, to your nearest Ram dealer and have it fixed immediately for maximum pleasure.

I got this done today. When I got home, I noticed that the outside temp was no longer displaying on the 8.4” display. It just shows 3 dashes before “Out”. The outside temp still shows on the gauge cluster display.

Anybody else have this happen?