Hitch adapter sleeve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millhunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. Have a 14 2500 6.4.

Me and wife are looking at an travel trailer. I thought i would ask in here.

Frist i would like a 2.5 w/d hitch . Sales guys said use sleeve adapter. I thought i read on here that its kinda a no go with that adapter. I just think peice of mind by just going with the 2.5.

Really havemt narrowed down the rv yet. Just been looking.

Any thoughts id appreciate
Thanks mark

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Interesting. I see no issue using the adapter with a wdh. I will be using it when i tow my tt.

I don't plan on spending the money to replace my entire wdh set up. I guess I'll see how it is when i tow my rig for the first time

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I used the adapter for 3 trips, and didn't like the slop or noise. No technical problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I use the adaptor with wd hitch without issue and no noise probably due to the weight being applied but eventually when I stop being cheap I'll get a 2.5" shank.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I used the adapter for 3 trips, and didn't like the slop or noise. No technical problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that heads up. For the 10 times per year or less my rig sees the road, i can live with the slop and noise.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I'm using mines with no problem, I have heard that not to use them but it's working for me so far.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of the sleeves say on them NOT to use that way (IE with a WD hitch set up), or at least that was the discussion on here last time it was brought up

Just looked at a few online, and I didn't see any such stickers, but EVERY one said to use for hitch mounted accessories....which are bike racks, cargo carriers, etc......NOT hitch shanks.

Example wording:
Use your 2" hitch-mounted accessories with your 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" trailer hitch by slipping this bushing into your receiver.

Personally, I don't think it would matter, as long as the sleeve doesn't lengthen the shank in any way, but the potential is there to deform the sleeve, and develop issues that way.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey guys. Have a 14 2500 6.4.

Me and wife are looking at an travel trailer. I thought i would ask in here.

Frist i would like a 2.5 w/d hitch . Sales guys said use sleeve adapter. I thought i read on here that its kinda a no go with that adapter. I just think peice of mind by just going with the 2.5.

Really havemt narrowed down the rv yet. Just been looking.

Any thoughts id appreciate
Thanks mark

I've used the sleeve for 2.5 years and 24000 miles of towing with no issues.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've used the sleeve for 2.5 years and 24000 miles of towing with no issues.

Wow, that's excellent. Glad to hear that. That's encouraging. Good stuff!

Part of the reason I'd like to stick with a 2" shank is if my rig were to break down, any of my friend's trucks with 2" receivers could get my trailer home. If i go 2.5" shank, i don't know of anyone that could help.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wow, that's excellent. Glad to hear that. That's encouraging. Good stuff!

Part of the reason I'd like to stick with a 2" shank is if my rig were to break down, any of my friend's trucks with 2" receivers could get my trailer home. If i go 2.5" shank, i don't know of anyone that could help.

I welded my sleeve into the receiver. I lost one, and didn't want it to happen again

I've towed everything from a 11k tt, to 10k Mini excavators with a pintal hitch, and lots of stuff in the 4-6 k range. No issues at all.

OP
OP
M

millhunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all good info. So i guess its just personal preference.
I might spend the extra money and just get the 2.5. Just for peace of mind.
Thanks guys

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I welded my sleeve into the receiver. I lost one, and didn't want it to happen again

I've towed everything from a 11k tt, to 10k Mini excavators with a pintal hitch, and lots of stuff in the 4-6 k range. No issues at all.

Nice, thanks for that. It must be pretty robust then. It certinly is heavy. I'll have to take a closer look at mine to see if it has any warnings on it. I don't recall seeing any though

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is yet another one of those subjects that never seems to get an authoritative answer. I can see why, a simple Google and two of the first hits came from eTrailer and guess what, one said OK to use the sleeve adapter and the other said not to and if you do, at reduced tow capacity.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-150038.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-65919.html

After lots of reading, I never did find a source of information that supported the sleeve or said not to use it for a WD hitch, a ton of unsupported options though. The best I found was common sense, using the sleeve, the weights you can work with will be the ratings for the 2 inch hitch.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went through the same issue. I called the WDH company and they suggested in buying a new shank. The shank is what goes into the truck hitch and attaches to the hitch. No need for a totally new WD hitch.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
This is yet another one of those subjects that never seems to get an authoritative answer. I can see why, a simple Google and two of the first hits came from eTrailer and guess what, one said OK to use the sleeve adapter and the other said not to and if you do, at reduced tow capacity.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-150038.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-65919.html

After lots of reading, I never did find a source of information that supported the sleeve or said not to use it for a WD hitch, a ton of unsupported options though. The best I found was common sense, using the sleeve, the weights you can work with will be the ratings for the 2 inch hitch.

I think that's sound advice. Thanks BH

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I went through the same issue. I called the WDH company and they suggested in buying a new shank. The shank is what goes into the truck hitch and attaches to the hitch. No need for a totally new WD hitch.

I'm not sure how that would work. Both the horizontal and vertical parts of my shank are 2". I don't think my hitch head would physically go over a 2.5" shank where the 2 through bolts go. Unless on the 2.5" setup, the horizontal part that goes into the receiver is 2.5"and the vertical where the hitch head bolts on is 2"?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
They reduce the shank down to 2", the only part that is 2 1/2" is the horizontal that inserts to the receiver

Go to etrailer and look them up

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all good info. So i guess its just personal preference.
I might spend the extra money and just get the 2.5. Just for peace of mind.
Thanks guys

Wow, I just dealt with this yesterday..
I had a 2" on my f 150, and so my 750 buck WDH was a 2"

Obviously I needed to lower it for the tall height of the 2500, and I went to a trailer specialty shop down here to buy a longer shank.. I could find only one that was 2.5 " and it wasnt long enough so I stuck with a 2" and am going to use the sleeve. I am installing tomorrow morning and trying to get all level with the trailer. I am also concerned about the slop but figure with so much wiehgt on it, the clunking should be minimal.. will be mostly smooth roads anyway.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled my trailer one time with the adapter sleeve and I did not care for it. For me, there was too much play between the sleeve the 2 inch shank it made a lot of popping with my WD hitch set up. My sleeve that I purchased was from Reese and there was a sticker on it that said it should not be used with the wd hitch. I called Reese and they verified what the sticker said. There is another one that is made by Curt that seems to be thicker metal I did not see a sticker on that one but I did not want to try it and not be happy with it. So, I purchased a 2 1/2 inch shank and I still have my 2 inch shank in case I need it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
They reduce the shank down to 2", the only part that is 2 1/2" is the horizontal that inserts to the receiver

Go to etrailer and look them up

Good to know, thanks. Maybe I'll just buy the 2.5" extended drop shank and be done with it then