Hitch adapter sleeve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I pulled my trailer one time with the adapter sleeve and I did not care for it. For me, there was too much play between the sleeve the 2 inch shank it made a lot of popping with my WD hitch set up. My sleeve that I purchased was from Reese and there was a sticker on it that said it should not be used with the wd hitch. I called Reese and they verified what the sticker said. There is another one that is made by Curt that seems to be thicker metal I did not see a sticker on that one but I did not want to try it and not be happy with it. So, I purchased a 2 1/2 inch shank and I still have my 2 inch shank in case I need it.

I have the mopar oem sleeve that came with my truck. I still need to check it for any warnings

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Didn't find any warnings on the OEM sleeve; it appears to be a 2" unwelded receiver leading me to believe I can safely treat it as such. I can definitely see the potential for slop/play without a WDH but with one (and the tension it creates) I've yet to significantly feel any. Been about 24k.

Sent using questionably obtained encription technology

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I was just about to report that. I checked mine last night and it does not have anything on it at all, no markings, no warnings.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Mines don't have anything also, I have been towing my 10,000 TT with it with no problem.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for that report BD. I just checked the full ram owners manual and there are no warnings or limitations on the sleeve stated in the manual

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard of it dropping the tongue payload capacity by half... I believe it was on a Curt insert that I read it on. To be honest I don't see why it would as long as the drop hitch was rated for the proper weight But according to CURT's website, they defer the weight limit to the hitch capacity so with that I would say there is no reduction in capacity.

What I have seen personally is the shank of the drop hitch shows signs of wear on points that it contacts the receiver sleeve from excessive play or slop as it was referred to.
But its all personal preference, I cant sand the clanking and banging so I'd suggest the right size and with a WD hitch I would also, just cause the less movement allowed the better IMO. Can you get away with it yes, does that mean its proper, not necessarily.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use an Equalizer WD hitch. Called Equalizer about using the adapter. They said use it, no problem. So far, it's been ok..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk