hitch / receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
question

i put a curt class 3 hitch on my truck, and have a receiver, and itseems to have more wiggle room on it than the hitch on my old chevy. almost like the pin that secures it is too small. how much wiggle room is there supposed to be? and any forward backwards wiggle?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's always going to be some in my experience, but shouldn't be so much that you are hearing clunks from it while towing.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
There's always going to be some in my experience, but shouldn't be so much that you are hearing clunks from it while towing.

I hear clunks but only at slow speeds. The trailer also isn't loaded yet. I'm going to grab a different center pin I guess :/

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There should be two holes for two different sized pins in the hitch.

At least there is on dad's hitch and my stocker.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
There should be two holes for two different sized pins in the hitch.

At least there is on dad's hitch and my stocker.

Only a spot for one pin on mine. Maybe your dad has a weight distribution hitch or a high / low setup? I've never had a hitch with dual holes before

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Only a spot for one pin on mine. Maybe your dad has a weight distribution hitch or a high / low setup? I've never had a hitch with dual holes before

Nope, got two holes. Pretty sure mine has that too, but I'd have to double check. Only used my hitch twice in the past 4 years. :Moon:

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The two holes is typically for different hitch positions to accomodate different needs. I know my WD hitch has two for that very reason.

There's typically a bit of wiggle on the hitch systems but it shouldn't be much... 2mm maybe? When you are pulling or backing up there shouldn't be any noticable clunking except for the one during the change of direction, and that should be minimal. The hitch pins are never tight to the point of needing a tool to insert them, but it shouldn't feel like your throwing a hot dog down a hallway either.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
20 hours and a blizzard later my truck made it to Illinois no problem at all.

still having a stall in reverse issue, and when i floor it (or forget my cruise is on when going up a big hill) it downshifts to third, then backfires through the intake.

and the torque converter is very harsh when locking up at higher speeds :/

but the truck made it, did not burn any oil or loose coolant, and the transmission fluid is just as clean as it was before the trip. i call it a success.

on another note, i got 13 mpg while pulling the trailer..... unloaded i've never seen over 10..... what gives???? XD

nate_053

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL V6
That makes sense. Ever notice how it's harder to stop when you have a heavier load? It carries you along further without needing to hit the gas as much I think.